Juvenile Burrowing Owl Portrait

Juvenile Burrowing Owl Portrait

Juvenile Burrowing Owl (Athene cunicularia) Portrait – Nikon D200, f8, 1/250, Nikkor 200-400mm VR with 1.4x TC at 400mm, natural light, not baited

Just a simple portrait of a juvenile Burrowing Owl taken in the soft light of dawn. Burrowing Owls are beautiful birds with lemony yellow eyes, downy soft feathers and subtle coloration. It’s hard to believe that they aren’t that much different in size from an American Robin.

Save the Owls Project

1. Larry Jordan January 22, 2012 at 8:56 pm

What a beautiful endearing portrait of the young Burrowing Owl Mia. You have captured the true essence of this amazing species through the eyes of this offspring at morning light.

• Mia McPherson January 23, 2012 at 5:14 am

Larry, thank you for your comment on this juvenile Burrowing Owl portrait. I know that both you and I are particularly fond of this species and I appreciate all you do for the Burrowing Owls in California.

They are such a delight!

2. Julie Brown January 18, 2012 at 6:45 pm

I just noticed you had a comment from Beverly. I have been exchanging emails with her today!

• Mia McPherson January 19, 2012 at 7:33 am

Julie, hopefully Beverly will be able to point you in the direction of some wonderful Burrowing Owl images!

3. Julie Brown January 18, 2012 at 6:43 pm

I think these owls are so special. You got this one in such sweet light! I’m hoping to find some of these guys when I am in Florida the last week in March.

• Mia McPherson January 19, 2012 at 7:33 am

Julie,

Thank you, I hope you are able to find and photograph Burrowing Owls on your trip to Florida. They are such fun to see and photograph.

4. Tammy Karr January 18, 2012 at 6:41 pm

Stunning photo! The clarity and detail are outstanding!

• Mia McPherson January 19, 2012 at 7:32 am

Thank you very much Tammy, I am always tickled when I can have a Burrowing Owl in my viewfinder.

5. Beverly Saltonstall January 18, 2012 at 5:38 pm

Mia,
    Beautiful shot! Living in Cape Coral Florida where I see them all the time, I never cease to enjoy their absolute beauty. You certainly captured that in this photo.
    Beverly

• Mia McPherson January 19, 2012 at 7:31 am

Thank you Beverly, they are absolute beauties and can be so funny too.

6. Laurence B January 18, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Marvelous bird. I’ve never seen a Burrowing Owl in the wild, but it’s always great to have you share their vivacious personalities through your outstanding photography. With their poses and postures, it’s like they’re the vigilant sentries of Antelope Islands, but are just a bit too silly to take their job seriously.

• Mia McPherson January 19, 2012 at 7:30 am

Laurence, this made me laugh out loud:

You are so very right! Thanks so much for your comment.

7. Bob Zeller January 18, 2012 at 7:14 am

Gorgeous with exquisite detail, Mia. I, too, would like to see one close-up, too. I got just a quick glimpse of one as it flew.

• Mia McPherson January 19, 2012 at 7:29 am

Thanks Bob, Burrowing Owls are great subjects. They have so much character.

8. Julie G. January 18, 2012 at 6:41 am

Outstanding portrait of the little owl! I would love to see one of these in person. Fantastic detail and warm, lovely lighting. Beautiful work!

• Mia McPherson January 19, 2012 at 7:27 am

Julie, thanks so much for your kind comment. Once you see and photograph a Burrowing Owl they make their way into your heart and you just can’t get enough of them!

9. Dan Huber January 18, 2012 at 4:32 am

This is such a wonderful portrait Mia. The light seems perfect, and such wonderful detail. I love it.

dan

• Mia McPherson January 18, 2012 at 5:50 am

Thank you Dan, this juvenile Burrowing Owl was a joy to photograph.