Another Western Meadowlark from today

/, Davis County, Utah, Western Meadowlarks/Another Western Meadowlark from today

I couldn’t resist posting another Western Meadowlark image that I created today even though I posted one earlier this morning.

Fluffy Western Meadowlark Fluffed up Western Meadowlark ~ Antelope Island State Park, Utah –  Nikon D300, f6.3, 1/2000, ISO 640, +0.7 EV, Nikkor 200-400mm VR with 1.4x TC at 400mm, natural light

When I spotted four Western Meadowlarks today on this bush I was just hoping to get close enough to get a few shots of them. This bird was very cooperative and even shook its feathers before flying off. I really like these birds!

1. Julie Brown February 18, 2012 at 5:52 am

I like the yellow throat and breast on these birds. Hey, its your blog-you can post as many times a day as you’d like! 🙂

• Mia McPherson February 18, 2012 at 11:59 am

I love the colors of Western Meadowlarks too Julie, I think the yellows stand out great from the more subdued browns. I guess I can post as many times a day as I want!

2. Bob Zeller February 17, 2012 at 2:42 pm

I agree with Linda, I think this is even better than the other one, if that is possible with your images. 🙂

• Mia McPherson February 17, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Bob, I really appreciate your comments. I love how a different pose, light or setting can make the same kind of bird appear so different!

3. judy watson February 17, 2012 at 6:52 am

Beautiful. they sing so pretty! Don’t you love it when they pose for you?
    The Horned Larks sing pretty too. They let me get closer than the Meadowlarks.

• Mia McPherson February 17, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Judy, I adore it when the birds pose for me! Western Meadowlarks have a wonderful song and I love hearing it. Today I had no luck getting close to either lark, I think it was the changing weather.

4. Tammy Karr February 17, 2012 at 5:43 am

Beautiful capture! They do look very similar to the Eastern Meadowlarks we have here. I really like these birds too! Their colors are just so vibrant!

• Mia McPherson February 17, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Tammy, I could never seem to get as close to Eastern Meadowlarks as I can with the Western Meadowlarks. They are very much alike in appearance but their songs are very different, the Western is more flute like and the songs are a bit longer. Thanks much for commenting.

5. Scott February 16, 2012 at 7:52 pm

That’s a sweet bird to see and hear. Glad they cooperated so you could get these great shots!

• Mia McPherson February 17, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Thanks so much Scott, they do have a very sweet song!

6. Linda Rockwell February 16, 2012 at 5:27 pm

I like this one even better! 🙂

• Mia McPherson February 16, 2012 at 5:34 pm

Thank you Linda. I appreciate your comments!