Side lit Coyote

/, Davis County, Utah/Side lit Coyote

Sidelit CoyoteSidelit Coyote – Nikon D300, f6.3, 1/1000, ISO 640, +0.3 EV, Nikkor 200-400mm VR with 1.4x TC at 400mm, natural light, not baited or called in

Last November I spotted this Coyote (Canis latrans) wandering in some dried vegetation close to a roadside. Although the lighting wasn’t optimal; meaning that the sun wasn’t directly behind me, I wanted to take some photos of the Coyote because I liked the rim lighting on the right side of the Coyote’s neck, muzzle and ears. Even though the setting is rather busy the Coyote stands out well and I like the direct look I appear to be getting from it.

1. Karen Bonsell March 27, 2012 at 9:26 pm

It turned out to be a beautiful shot! I just love those eyes!

• Mia McPherson March 31, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Thank you Karen, I love the eyes of Coyotes too.

2. Bob Zeller March 26, 2012 at 4:49 pm

Breathtaking!

• Mia McPherson March 27, 2012 at 5:38 am

Many thanks for your kind words Bob!

3. ingrid March 25, 2012 at 10:11 pm

What a gorgeous shot. I love the muted, softness of the surroundings, Mia. This coyote does look healthy. I think he was at the groomer’s that morning.

• Mia McPherson March 26, 2012 at 6:16 am

Your comment about the groomers made me laugh Ingrid, thanks for that. Thanks also for your very kind words on this image.

• ingrid March 27, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Last year, I was out for a hike with one of my fellow wildlife rehabbers. He kept saying things like, “look at that healthy squirrel!” or “look at that plump hawk!” — not thinking twice that anyone would consider it odd. I was chuckling, because the frame of reference and counterpoint was obviously the ill or injured animals that get accessioned at a hospital. It’s hard not to notice the healthy, fluffy ones. And this coyote … I swear it looks like someone brushed him for the shot. 🙂

• Mia McPherson March 31, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Maybe Ron snuck out to the island before sunrise and brushed that Coyote for me! Just kiddimg, it is a 45 minute drive from here.

4. Julie Brown March 25, 2012 at 7:47 am

This really is a nice portrait. The coyote looks fluffy and healthy, and I think the lighting works to help make the face distinct from the vegetation.

• Mia McPherson March 26, 2012 at 6:10 am

Julie, the Coyote does look very fluffy. Thanks for commenting!

5. Tammy Karr March 25, 2012 at 5:19 am

Side lighting is my favorite lighting; outstanding photo as always!

• Mia McPherson March 25, 2012 at 5:44 am

Thanks for your very kind comment Tammy!

6. Stu Megan March 24, 2012 at 1:31 pm

Great shot Mia!. I love the ‘tip’ of light on his nose ;).. Great Shot. I agree with Lawrence B above.,I live in AZ also. and the ones that pass by my place are scrawny and hungry most of the time.

• Mia McPherson March 25, 2012 at 5:39 am

Thanks for commenting Stu! I remember Coyotes in AZ looking scraggly, I think they have to work harder for their food than the ones here have too.

7. Sheila Atwood March 24, 2012 at 11:29 am

I really like the camouflage colors of this picture. Isn’t fun to get a great picture when the light isn’t what we think as optimal. Great job in capturing the essence of the Coyote.

• Mia McPherson March 25, 2012 at 5:38 am

Thanks so much for commenting Sheila, I like the colors in the image too. I enjoy taking photos in challenging light so this one was fun for me.

8. Laurence Butler March 24, 2012 at 11:15 am

Your Antelope Island coyotes seem so bulky and healthy. Here in AZ they’re usually scrawny, more Wyl-e coyote style. Lovely image.

• Mia McPherson March 25, 2012 at 5:37 am

Laurence, most of the year our Coyotes here do look healthy and fluffy but when they begin to shed they can be very scraggly looking, like Wiley Coyote! Thanks for commenting.

9. mariana March 24, 2012 at 9:48 am

This image is simply amazing . Light and tones and eye contact are fantastic !

• Mia McPherson March 25, 2012 at 5:35 am

Thanks very much for your kind comment Mariana and for visiting my blog.

10. Susan March 24, 2012 at 9:09 am

Beautiful capture Mia. Love it!

11. Carol Mattingly March 24, 2012 at 8:09 am

I love the expression on this coyote. His brow is bunched up as though he’s checking something out or perhaps checking you out. I’m safe and sound today here in Kentucky. Our weather is starting to mimic Oklahoma and that is a little bit of a scary thought. I stop daily to check out what you’re posting. You’re photos find me wanting purchase a longer telephoto. It’s not easy getting a close up of even the birds with my current lens. Carol

• Mia McPherson March 25, 2012 at 5:34 am

Carol, I do think the Coyote was checking me out, it had crossed the road in front of us then stopped in the thick vegetation to look back.

Glad you are safe after the storms. It looks like spring is causing rocky weather in some parts of the country.

A longer lens does help to get images of birds depending on the area where you live. I’ve found that with local parks and other places where there are birds and people that a shorter lens can suffice.

12. Dan Huber March 24, 2012 at 5:09 am

Beautiful shot Mia. The lighting makes a neat shot.

• Mia McPherson March 25, 2012 at 5:27 am

Thanks Dan, I like the lighting too.