Canada Goose on Glover’s Pond

Canada GooseCanada Goose – Nikon D200, f6.3, 1/1000, ISO 400, +0.3 EV, Nikkor 200-400mm VR with 1.4x TC at 400mm, natural light

Canada Geese (Branta canadensis) are common in my area and I often overlook taking images of them because of that. I really shouldn’t though because they are beautiful birds.

I photographed this Canada Goose as it paddled past me on Glover’s Pond at Farmington Bay Waterfowl Management Area in northern Utah two years ago.

1. Dan Huber March 26, 2012 at 4:43 am

Wonderful shot. I like shooting geese, as their colors make nice contrast shots if done well, and I sometimes get a nice one. I have been trying this season for a good shot with goose in foreground and budding trees in background – not yet 🙂

• Mia McPherson March 26, 2012 at 6:17 am

I hope you get the images you want of Canada Geese with budding trees in the background Dan, those would be beautiful.

2. ingrid March 25, 2012 at 10:08 pm

I’m so glad you posted about Canada Geese, because although they are common, I love seeing them, too. My favorite trait is their call-and-answer in flight. It’s music.

• Mia McPherson March 26, 2012 at 6:14 am

I love hearing Canada Geese too Ingrid, it is music. Thanks for your comment.

3. Susan March 25, 2012 at 10:38 am

Love this, Canada Geese are common around here too, some of them even over winter. But they have personality and are certainly beautiful:)

• Mia McPherson March 26, 2012 at 6:14 am

Thank you Susan, Canada Geese do have loads of personality. I’m hoping to see and photograph some Cackling Geese before they head north.

4. Laurence Butler March 25, 2012 at 10:21 am

They are very handsome, especially considering how mangy geese can be. Still, there are only so many hours of daylight. Given the other great bids so see and photograph…well I can sympathize.

• Mia McPherson March 26, 2012 at 6:12 am

Thanks Laurence, you are right, there are only so many hours of daylight.

5. Julie Brown March 25, 2012 at 7:45 am

Nice feather detail and I like the reflection.

6. Tammy Karr March 25, 2012 at 5:17 am

Beautiful photo! This Canadian Goose looks so peaceful! Love the reflection as well!

• Mia McPherson March 25, 2012 at 5:43 am

Thanks Tammy, I loved how peaceful the image feels too.