Willet resting in a Spartina Marsh

/, Fort De Soto County Park, Pinellas County, Willets/Willet resting in a Spartina Marsh

Willet resting in a Spartina Marsh
Willet resting in a Spartina Marsh – Nikon D200, handheld, f9, 1/320, ISO 200, Nikon 70-300mm VR at 300mm, natural light

The image above was taken at Fort De Soto on Florida’s Gulf coast. The Willets (Tringa semipalmata) there are habituated to people and because they are it is easier to approach them than it is here in Utah. My Nikkor 80-400mm VR was being repaired when I photographed this Willet and I was using my 70-300mm VR. I approached the bird from the water, inching forward on my knees so that I wouldn’t alarm the bird.

I’ve seen a few Willets this week and I am glad they are back from their wintering grounds, I’ve missed them.

1. Dan Huber April 5, 2012 at 6:12 am

Love the shot Mia, love the details on it’s colors which i typically don’t see

• Mia McPherson April 6, 2012 at 8:51 am

Dan, this bird may have been going into breeding plumage which seems to have more variation the the colors. Thanks!

2. Laurence Butler April 4, 2012 at 11:09 pm

Ah, the ol’ 300mm club (my club too). Great capture Mia. I love Willets, and I’m not really sure why. Maybe it’s just because they have a really funny name, or because they’re so non-descripte until they spread their wings…anyway I love this picture.

• Mia McPherson April 6, 2012 at 8:49 am

Laurence, I love Willets too, partly because they have such subtle plumage in contrast to when they have their wings lifted and partly because they have fiesty characters. Thanks for your comment on this image.

3. Susan April 4, 2012 at 7:49 pm

Beautiful Mia!

4. Elijah Goodwin April 4, 2012 at 4:46 pm

Nice image Mia. Willets are one of my personal favorites!

• Mia McPherson April 6, 2012 at 8:43 am

Elijah, thanks for commenting on this image. I love Willets too!

5. Julie G. April 4, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Love the angle from which you shot the photograph. Stunning capture of a most beautiful bird!

• Mia McPherson April 6, 2012 at 8:42 am

Thank you Julie, if I had been any lower my lens would have been in the water!

6. Ingrid April 4, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Flocks of shorebirds might be what I miss most from California. It’s quite a difference to be inland on Puget Sound, as compared to the Pacific Coast. Your photos of Willets and Curlews made my heart skip a beat for the sounds and sights of home!

• Mia McPherson April 6, 2012 at 8:42 am

Ingrid, flocks of shorebirds are probably what I miss most about Florida too. Although we get many different species of shorebirds here in Utah they are not quite as approachable as the ones in Florida were. Breeding Curlews and Willets seem to be the exception to that however. Thanks for your comment!