Cottontail Rabbit

I photographed this little Cottontail Rabbit yesterday on Antelope Island State Park. Black-tailed Jackrabbits are far more common on the island so I was tickled to see this Cottontail near the hay barn.

Cottontail Rabbit Cottontail Rabbit – Nikon D200, f7.1, 1/160, ISO 400, Nikkor 200-400mm VR with 1.4x Tc at 400mm, natural light

The Cottontail was nibbling on fresh grass shoots that were emerging from the straw near the barn.

1. Syl Lobato July 21, 2012 at 8:57 pm

We have several cottontails in the neighbor and never tire of seeing them..love the pose on this little guy..

2. Linda Rockwell July 19, 2012 at 8:36 am

What a cutie. These live around my house and give me fits eating the lawn and my flowers!

• Mia McPherson July 27, 2012 at 5:17 pm

When I lived back east it was a common sight to see Cottontails nibbling at the veggies in my garden, I never see them in town where I live now. Thanks for commenting Linda!

3. Ingrid July 12, 2012 at 11:05 pm

I love seeing cottontails in their habitat. And I like the partial turn in this pose, just lovely. (And Merill Ann, didn’t know that about the New England Cottontail … I’m going to look into that a bit.)

• Mia McPherson July 13, 2012 at 3:24 pm

Thanks for the comment Ingrid.

4. Prairie Birder July 9, 2012 at 11:31 pm

Terrific photo, Mia, the contrast of the colors in the cottontail and the straw are very beautiful!

• Mia McPherson July 13, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Thanks PraieiBirder, the rabbit sure looked comfy in the straw.

5. Carol Mattingly July 9, 2012 at 1:47 pm

I love this little guy. He looks so sweet. Carol

6. Merrill Ann Gonzales July 9, 2012 at 1:05 pm

It looks like the URL for this information did not print in my response. So go to http:// newenglandcottontail (dot) org/ (just close up the spaces and change the (dot) to a period. Thanks.

• Mia McPherson July 13, 2012 at 2:39 pm

Merrill, thanks for sharing the link on the New England Cottontail, I wasn’t aware of the possibility of them being listed as endangered and I’m very sorry to hear that they need to be listed. Thank you for your comment on this post & image.

7. Merrill Ann Gonzales July 9, 2012 at 1:03 pm

I have just been reading about how the New England Cottontail (which lives in southern New England and eastern New York) is being considered for listing under the federal Endangered Species Act. It is losing its habitat. It now has less that 1/5 of its historic range… Check out for more information. Thanks so very much for this great photo of the Cotton Tail. I think most of us could never imagine a rabbit becoming endangered… which certainly gives pause for thought.

8. Tammy Karr July 9, 2012 at 11:32 am

What a wonderful photo! Looks like such a sweet rabbit! Hope it stays away from all the beautiful raptors you photograph!

• Mia McPherson July 13, 2012 at 2:32 pm

Thanks Tammy, Cottontails do look sweet.

9. Stu July 9, 2012 at 7:40 am

Great Shot Mia! My resident cottontails, after showing them this picture, recognized this as Cousin Jake, who relocates up there during the summer months.

• Mia McPherson July 13, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Nice of you to share your Cotton-tail’s cousin with me!