Coyote in a hilltop

Coyote on a hilltopCoyote on a hilltop – Nikon D300, f6.3, 1/2500, ISO 640, Nikkor 200-400mm VR with 1.4x TC at 400mm, natural light, not baited or called in

From all appearances the Coyotes (Canis latrans) on Antelope Island State Park are starting to put on their winter coats, they sure are getting fluffy. These images were taken earlier this week as this Coyote stood near a hilltop on Tin Lambing Shed.

Coyote on a hilltopCoyote on a hilltop – Nikon D300, f6.3, 1/2000, ISO 640, +0.3 EV, Nikkor 200-400mm VR at 400mm, natural light, not baited or called in

I think the amber color of the eyes of a Coyote are fascinating and they look so very intelligent. They are predators that help maintain a natural balance in nature yet they are persecuted and have a bounty on their ears, a $50.00 bounty in Utah.

That is sad and there is no scientific proof that killing the coyotes is doing what “it” was supposed to do.

P.S.: My mother is visiting me on her first trip to Utah, she is going to love it! I’ll be slow to view and comment on your blogs, thanks for understanding. Please feel free to share this post with your friends and family.

1. Mia McPherson September 21, 2012 at 7:06 pm

Thanks for your comments Bob B, Karen, Stu, Syl, Hilke, Susan, Matthew and Ralph, this Coyote was a great subject.

2. Ralph September 16, 2012 at 12:17 pm

Great photos and the coyote whose image you captured sure looks healthy and well fed, especially compared to the last few scrawny ones I’ve seen in Texas.

3. Matthew Sim September 15, 2012 at 6:49 pm

Gorgeous photos, I particularly like the second shot, the blue sky is beautiful. I didn’t know there was a bounty on coyotes on Utah; there shouldn’t be, how can we help prevent this?

4. Susan September 15, 2012 at 5:30 pm

Such a lovely animal,all animals have a purpose in the cycle of life, too bad many people don’t consider that when they persecute a specific species.

5. Hilke Breder September 15, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Beautiful shots of the coyote, Mia. I can’t believe there is still a bounty on coyotes! On rare occasions we hear coyotes in our neighborhood, only at night though. It always sends a shiver down my back, and I make sure that the dogs are inside. Hope you’ll have a good time with your Mom, and of course, she a good time with you in Utah!

6. Syl September 15, 2012 at 9:53 am

Great photos..yes Coyotes are very intelligent and very creative. I ran a swather cutting hay in Oregon and I had a young coyote pup that met me every morning and ran with the swather to catch the mice and other small rodents. Here again is nature’s checks and balances..Have a great day..love the photos…

7. Stu September 15, 2012 at 8:48 am

Excellent Photos Mia. Their winter coats are so cool and make them look well fed. The ones I see in the summer here, are so thin most of the time, but they are probably the highlight of my year when one or two come by.

8. Karen Bonsell September 15, 2012 at 8:42 am

Mia, beautiful shots of this guy! Enjoy your visit with your Mom! I’m sure she’ll love Utah! It’s a beautiful state!

9. Bob Bushell September 15, 2012 at 5:43 am

The Coyote is a beautiful animal, you photographed it very well. I hope you can have a tremendous time with your mum.