The Pronghorn are in rut on Antelope Island SP

/, Davis County, Pronghorn, Utah/The Pronghorn are in rut on Antelope Island SP

Early last week I thought that the Pronghorn (Antilocapra americana) bucks on Antelope Island State Park might be in rut, later in the week a buck’s behavior confirmed that they are. For the next few weeks it ought to be more fun than usual photographing them.

Pronghorn doesPronghorn does – Nikon D300, f6.3, 1/2500, ISO 640, +0.3 EV, Nikkor 200-400mm VR with 1.4x TC at 285mm, natural light

There were several does in the harem…

Pronghorn yearling nibbling on MulleinPronghorn yearling nibbling on Mullein- Nikon D300, f6.3, 1/2000, ISO 640, +0.3 EV, Nikkor 200-400mm VR with 1.4x TC at 400mm, natural light

Plus a few young Pronghorn that were born earlier this spring…

Keeping an eye on his haremKeeping an eye on his harem – Nikon D300, f6.3, 1/2500, ISO 640, +0.3 EV, Nikkor 200-400mm VR with 1.4x TC at 400mm, natural light

And this buck who kept a close eye on his harem.

Pronghorn yearlingPronghorn yearling – Nikon D300, f6.3, 1/2000, ISO 640, +0.3 EV, Nikkor 200-400mm VR with 1.4x TC at 328mm, natural light

The fawns born this spring have sure grown a lot yet they are still pretty darn cute.

Pronghorn buckAlert Pronghorn buck – Nikon D300, f6.3, 1/2000, ISO 640, +0.3 EV, Nikkor 200-400mm VR with 1.4x TC at 350mm, natural light

Pronghorn bucks expend a lot of energy during the rut keeping the does in his harem close to him and by fending off the other males.

Pronghorn buck chasing his doesPronghorn buck chasing his does – Nikon D300, f6.3, 1/2000, ISO 640, +0.3 EV, Nikkor 200-400mm VR with 1.4x TC at 350mm, natural light

When one of the does or fawns breaks loose from the harem the buck will chase after them to get them back into the herd.

Pronghorn buckPronghorn buck passing by – Nikon D300, f6.3, 1/2000, ISO 640, +0.3 EV, Nikkor 200-400mm VR with 1.4x TC at 350mm, natural light

I think it is awesome to watch the powerful muscles of Pronghorn as they run, they are the fastest land mammal in North America.

Buck running after his haremBuck running after his harem – Nikon D300, f6.3, 1/1600, ISO 640, +0.3 EV, Nikkor 200-400mm VR with 1.4x TC at 350mm, natural light

When this buck’s harem ran across the road he followed them close on their heels.

My mother’s visit went great, she saw many lifer birds and wild animals, she loved seeing Utah and spending time with me. I hated to see her leave.

I’ll be slowly catching up on viewing your blogs and images and replying to the wonderful comments you have left here while I was enjoying her company.

1. M. Firpi September 22, 2012 at 5:58 pm

They have fantastic legs, and their color with the light is very nice!

2. Karen Bonsell September 22, 2012 at 6:25 am

Mia, awesome pics of these guys & gals! I got to see them several times last year on our Yellowstone trip! Unfortunately, our time in Utah was a passing through to & from Yellowstone! I really want to plan a vacation of just Utah. I was impressed by everything I saw there. We visited Zion for one day (not enough), saw the Mormon Tabernacle & Antelope Island for just an afternoon! I would’ve loved to spend much more time there! However, I did get to see a lot of life birds there along the causeway! I also saw my first Golden Eagles in a canyon that we accidentally drove through (thank goodness)! Then, on the way back to Vegas, we happened upon a falls on the side of the road, Bridal Veil, I believe! I’m glad you & your Mom had a great visit!! Whoops, sorry so long!

• Mia McPherson October 5, 2012 at 6:44 am

Karen, I hope that you will get to spend more time in Utah, it is such a fantastic state for nature, wildlife, birds, scenery and so much more. I love my adopted state. Thanks so much for your comment.

3. Dan Huber September 22, 2012 at 4:44 am

Wonderful series on very pretty animals.

4. Mia McPherson September 21, 2012 at 7:26 pm

Robert, I love seeing Pronghorn and I do recall seeing them near Boise when I have driven through. I’m glad you get to see them there.

Ingrid, I had a marvelous time with my mother while she was here.

Merrill, I hope we can get your subscription to my blog straight.

Julie, Pronghorns do seem to have tones that blend right into their habitat for a good part of the year. I hope that you enjoy your time in Zion, the scenery there just blows me away.

Thank you all for your comments.

5. Julie Brown September 21, 2012 at 7:20 pm

Hi Mia. You captured a very nice series of poses here in lovely light. This is an interestingly marked animal-the tones are complementary to the environment. That is great that you had a nice visit with your mother. Did you take her out to Antelope Island?

By the way, I will be in Zion in about three weeks for a landscape workshop. I’m flying in to Vegas and plan on visiting the Henderson Bird Viewing Preserve before driving to Springdale. I hear it is the best place to bird in southern Nevada.

6. Merrill Ann Gonzales September 21, 2012 at 1:56 pm

The only way I’d ever get to experience something like this is via your posts…. Keep my on your mailing list, please. Many thanks.

7. ingrid September 21, 2012 at 12:36 pm

I just love antelope sightings. You’re photos are the next best thing … maybe better, because they certainly show these guys in all of their splendor. Sorry your mom had to go! Sounds like you both had a beautiful time.

8. Robert Mortensen September 21, 2012 at 6:55 am

In the foothills to the north and others to east of Boise we get lots of pronghorn too. It’s been fun seeing them near where I’m building a house for a customer.