Coyotes – The Song Dog

Coyote on the shore of the Great Salt Lake 1Coyote on the shore of the Great Salt Lake 1 – Nikon D300, f6.3, 1/2500, ISO 640, Nikkor 200-400mm VR with 1.4x TC at 242mm, natural light, not baited or called in

Not long after arriving at Antelope Island yesterday I heard the sound of Coyotes singing, it is a sound that always brings a smile to my lips and delights me. I couldn’t get any decent images of the pair of singing Coyotes on the island because there was too much dried vegetation in the way but it was fun to watch them even though they had stopped calling by then.

Later on; after leaving the island, I spotted another pair of Coyotes along the causeway and photographed them for a while. They were probably going to look for the leftover bits of ducks that the falcons leave on the shoreline of the Great Salt Lake.

Coyote on the shore of the Great Salt Lake 2Coyote on the shore of the Great Salt Lake 2 – Nikon D300, f7.1, 1/2500, ISO 640, Nikkor 200-400mm VR with 1.4x TC at 257mm, natural light, not baited or called in

I enjoy photographing the Coyotes along the causeway because the setting there is so different from the prairie grasses and sagebrush habitat on the island itself.

Coyote on the shore of the Great Salt Lake 3Coyote on the shore of the Great Salt Lake 3 – Nikon D300, f7.1, 1/2000, ISO 640, Nikkor 200-400mm VR with 1.4x TC at 257mm, natural light, not baited or called in

The Coyotes look beautiful in their fluffy winter coats and the warm morning sunlight. I can’t wait to hear the Song Dogs sing again, it is a sound that should never be silenced.

1. Patty chadwick June 23, 2013 at 6:35 pm

Coyote is known as Iktomi, the trickster (also “teacher”….as a retired special Ed teacher, I’m not sure how I feel about that…should probably feel complimented). When they are on the chase, it sounds like there are a whole lot more than there really are…they can really “sing” up a storm! When I was traveling, they always played a important role in letting me know what was going to happen next…or so it seemed, anyway. Coincidence? Who knows. Sure happened a lot….

• Mia McPherson June 25, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Tales of Coyotes are abundant in Native American lore, I enjoy reading those stories. When I head out into the wilderness I feel disappointed if I don’t hear them sing. Once a Coyote tuned me into a Short-eared Owl with its chicks in a field, I was grateful that the owl and a harrier were dive bombing the Coyote or I would not have seen the owl fledglings. The Coyote was chased away and the owls were fine.

2. Patty chadwick June 23, 2013 at 6:25 pm

Our singers tend to be bigger and huskies than their western brothers…and ave more wolf DNA. We hear thenpm sing on moonlit nights and when the fire whistle sounds. We used to have a lot of woodchucks, especially along the highways. I’d get the kids to see how many they could count when we”d go somewhere…seldom see any now”..

• Mia McPherson June 25, 2013 at 12:28 pm

Oddly enough Patty I hear from my friends in AZ and NM that our Coyotes look larger and certainly fluffier than the ones there. With our cold and sometimes harsh winters Coyotes would need to put on heavier coats than in most places in AZ or NM. I adore hearing Coyotes sing and love seeing them in the field, especially when they are wagging their tails.

3. Susan November 28, 2012 at 6:56 am

Wonderful post, beautiful coyote

• Mia McPherson November 29, 2012 at 4:17 am

Thanks Susan, they do look especially beautiful in their winter coats.

4. ingrid November 26, 2012 at 8:58 pm

Mia, that facial expression in the second shot! Like a ‘wink, wink’ wile coyote. 🙂 What gorgeous animals and representations thereof!

• Mia McPherson November 29, 2012 at 4:16 am

Ingrid, I thought the Coyote looked like it was giving a ‘wink, wink’ wile coyote look too! Thanks so much for commenting.

5. Humming Bird Lover November 26, 2012 at 11:18 am

Hi! I reached out and touched the picture! It’s fur and color and love the eye’s. It is so life like! I sure love your photo’s. And feel like it is in the room with me!!!!

6. Humming Bird Lover November 26, 2012 at 11:17 am

Hi! I reached out and touched the pictgure! It’s fur and color and love the eye’s. It is so life like! I sure love your photo’s. And feel like it is in the room with me!!!!

• Mia McPherson November 29, 2012 at 4:15 am

I love those eyes too Mom, the color is very striking. I can picture you touching your screen! 🙂

7. Noushka November 26, 2012 at 1:57 am

Magnificent photos!
    So perfect I cannot make a long comment!

• Mia McPherson November 29, 2012 at 4:14 am

Thanks Noushka, Coyotes are such wonderful subjects

8. Nicole November 24, 2012 at 2:05 pm

What a handsome fellow (or gal??)! You’ve really captured his smile there… Beautiful creatures!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

• Mia McPherson November 25, 2012 at 11:11 am

Thank you for your comment on these Coyotes images Nicole, they are beautiful creatures and such fun to photograph.

9. Bob Bushell November 24, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Are they beautiful, they have a cheeky look on their faces. Brilliant photography Mia.

• Mia McPherson November 25, 2012 at 11:10 am

Yes, they can look rather cheeky Bob! Thanks.

10. Merrill Ann Gonzales November 24, 2012 at 11:50 am

Azstu took the word out of my mouth… They surely are a handsome pair.

11. Wally November 24, 2012 at 9:44 am

Really nice! The morning sun certainly highlights their beauty!

12. judy watson November 24, 2012 at 8:19 am

Wow.
    Outstanding!

• Mia McPherson November 25, 2012 at 11:07 am

Thanks Judy, I’m so grateful we get to see and photograph Coyotes as often as we do.

13. Matt November 24, 2012 at 7:56 am

Awesome pics of the’yotes, Mia!

• Mia McPherson November 25, 2012 at 11:07 am

Thank you Matt, Coyotes are awesome!

14. Azstu November 24, 2012 at 6:45 am

Such handsome animals.. great start to my day to see these. thanks mia.

• Mia McPherson November 25, 2012 at 11:06 am

Thank you Stu! They really are quite handsome.