Chukar in fresh fallen snow

Chukar walking on fresh snowChukar walking on fresh snow – Nikon D300, f9, 1/1000, ISO 640, Nikkor 200-400mm VR with 1.4x TC at 321mm, natural light

Snow fell on Antelope Island last night and it made for wonderful settings for the subjects I photographed like this Chukar in fresh fallen snow. I haven’t been seeing the Chukars regularly lately so I was very pleased to see them again. I noticed last year around this time that they were difficult to find too.

Chukar in the snowChukar in fresh fallen snow – Nikon D300, f9, 1/800, ISO 640, +0.3 EV, Nikkor 200-400mm VR with 1.4x TC at 357mm, natural light

I love to photograph my subjects in all kinds of settings and light so fresh snow was a given, I had to get photos of the Chukars as they pushed their bills into the snow to find food. To me Chukars always look kind of rotund and I think that being in the snow makes that even more obvious.

Bad Seed? Chukar shows tongueBad Seed? Chukar up chukin’ – Nikon D300, f9, 1/800, ISO 640, +0.3 EV, Nikkor 200-400mm with 1.4x TC 357mm, natural light

Sorry for the bad pun but it did look like this Chukar was up chukin’. It is really just eating and I caught the bill open and showing the bird’s tongue, you can see the food the bird was eating under the upper mandible.

I was going to post these tomorrow but couldn’t wait. I may have patience when it comes to bird photography but I lack some when it comes to sharing my images here. 🙂

1. M. Firpi December 29, 2012 at 11:31 pm

This bird’s feather pattern is just so striking.

• Mia McPherson January 6, 2013 at 1:54 pm

I agree Maria, the plumage pattern is striking. Thanks for commenting.

2. hummingbirdlover December 29, 2012 at 3:50 pm

Hi! The photo’s are so beautiful! I love the one eating the seeds! You caught the open mouth and I bet no one else has ever been able to get a perfect shot like that? Great job. Have a Happy New Year of great photo’s to come!

• Mia McPherson January 6, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Thanks Mom, I am glad you especially enjoyed the image of the Chukar with its bill open. It made me giggle to see it on my screen.

3. Bob Bushell December 29, 2012 at 2:04 am

Red-legged Partridge is our name for it, or quite similar. You have caught it, snow bound. Brilliant photos.

• Mia McPherson January 6, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Thank you Bob, I have heard them called Red-legged Partridge too, though that might be a regional name.

4. eric c11 December 29, 2012 at 1:00 am

an other great serie
    i m impressed with all the good new pictures you show to us so often, probably you must have a full time available for outoup wild life pictures, that s great !
    Hunting is possible in your area ? here in france, during hunting season, wildlife is harder to watch and to photographie, you can understand why…
    take care

• Mia McPherson January 6, 2013 at 1:52 pm

Thank you Eric. I do have enough free time to get out shooting often.

There is hunting in Utah Eric, but not for these birds in this location, it is a state park and the only animals hunted there are Bison, Deer and Bighorn Sheep and to be honest I don’t think those should be hunted in a state park.

5. judy watson December 28, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Glad you shared too!!

6. Sherry in MT December 28, 2012 at 8:53 pm

So glad you did share it – that is absolutely COOL! Never seen one and your images of them make me feel I have! yeehaw!

• Mia McPherson January 6, 2013 at 1:50 pm

Woot! I hope you do get to see some Chukars Sherry, they are beautiful and fun to photograph!

7. Rohrerbot December 28, 2012 at 6:53 pm

Most excellent Mia!!! What a beautiful bird!