Chukar running in the snowChukar running in the snow

I spent the day photographing with Ron and a fellow photographer friend of ours from Arizona, Brian Gatlin. Antelope Island State Park was slow, the only images I took were of the Chukar above.

Great Blue Heron preening to remove iceGreat Blue Heron preening to remove ice

Farmington Bay WMA; on the other hand, was hopping. This Great Blue Heron; probably the same one I photographed a few days ago, was trying hard to get the ice off that had formed on the straggly part of its chest plumage.

Juvenile Black-crowned near a bridgeJuvenile Black-crowned Night Heron

Then there was this juvenile Black-crowned Night Heron standing in the open water near the second bridge. It also had ice hanging from its plumage.

Rough-legged Hawk juvenileRough-legged Hawk juvenile

There was also cooperative juvenile Rough-legged Hawk perched on a bush near the road.

Barn OwlBarn Owl

And this lovely Barn Owl that probably couldn’t figure out why three glass lenses in the pick up were pointed at it along with one in a vehicle behind us. The bird obviously doesn’t know it has Star Power.

Some fun with birds from yesterday with great companionship. I can’t ask for more.

1. I love Chukars in snow! March 3, 2014 at 1:34 pm

2. […] Chukar images were taken last Friday and this bird is the same one in my post titled “Some fun with birds from yesterday“, I wanted to share more photos of it. Snow was still falling lightly when I started taking […]

3. Sherry in MT January 20, 2013 at 10:39 am

Now THAT is my kinda day and you always come back with such fabulous shots!!!

• Mia McPherson January 20, 2013 at 10:44 am

Thank you Sherry, the day got better as it went on, at first I didn’t think we were going to get anything. Kind of like today, it started off gray and lightly snowing but right now it is sunny but I am home culling images!

4. Lauren January 20, 2013 at 5:39 am

Love the variety of birds. My fav is the barn owl. I have been following your posts for awhile now. Just love the coyote’s and Bison too. Keep the pics coming.

5. Lauren January 20, 2013 at 5:45 am

Great shots, my favorite is the Barn owl. Also enjoy the coyote and bison photos. I have been following your posts for awhile . Keep the beautiful pics coming.

• Mia McPherson January 20, 2013 at 8:42 am

I love that Barn Owl too Lauren, thanks for your comment.

6. Dave Sparks January 19, 2013 at 5:27 pm

Wow! Great day. All the photos are outstanding, but the ice on the plumage of the BCNH really caught my attention. Our shrubbery doesn’t get that much ice all winter, unless we forget to turn the sprinkler system off on an unusually cold night!

• Mia McPherson January 20, 2013 at 8:37 am

Dave, it was a great day and getting to finally meet Brian in person was awesome!

7. M. Firpi January 19, 2013 at 3:15 pm

What a great roundup Mia.

8. Merrill Ann Gonzales January 19, 2013 at 1:58 pm

I’ve heard of great-blue herons actually freezing in the water and not able to get out till it thaws. I was never quite sure whether or not to believe it… but your photo reminded me….

• Mia McPherson January 19, 2013 at 5:13 pm

Merrill, I have heard of Sandhill Crane’s feet getting frozen into the water too. Brrr.. gives a chill even thinking about that.

9. Sam Brunson January 19, 2013 at 11:16 am

Amazing photos! The birds look great with the snowy backgrounds.

• Mia McPherson January 19, 2013 at 5:12 pm

Thank you Sam, I love these snowy backgrounds too.

10. Wally January 19, 2013 at 10:27 am

Looks like you had a great day! Wonderful images, as usual! Of course, I can’t comprehend all that white stuff in the background or ice accumulating on feathers………..:)

–Wally

• Mia McPherson January 19, 2013 at 5:12 pm

LOL Wally, just imagine the snow is sugar sand only ice cold! Thanks for commenting.

11. Laurence Butler January 19, 2013 at 9:43 am

Super shots as always Mia! I love starting off a non-birding day with some ON The Wing Photography!

• Mia McPherson January 19, 2013 at 5:11 pm

Laurence, I love starting off my day with Butlers Birds and Things! Your posts always make me laugh and I enjoy your birds & things 🙂

12. Ken January 19, 2013 at 8:21 am

I stopped by Farmington Bay on my way home home from work yesterday and probably saw some of the same birds, but my pictures are only a fraction as good. Great photographs Mia!

• Mia McPherson January 19, 2013 at 5:10 pm

Thank you Ken, we didn’t go by Farmington today, we headed north to Bear River and I kind of got skunked! Hope to get back to Farmington soon.

13. judy watson January 19, 2013 at 7:51 am

Mia…such beautiful bird pics!!! Love love the owl. And the night heron. I don’t see much of those. You are so are so fortunate.

• Mia McPherson January 19, 2013 at 5:09 pm

Thanks Judy, the night herons can be a challenge to find at times. The juvenile blend into the habitat very well.

14. Bob Bushell January 19, 2013 at 7:41 am

Beautiful birds, but I’m in love with the Barn Owl, precious.

• Mia McPherson January 19, 2013 at 5:08 pm

Thanks Bob, that Barn Owl appeals to me very much too.

15. Beverly Everson January 19, 2013 at 7:06 am

Wonderful post, as always, Mia!

16. Susan January 19, 2013 at 6:02 am

It sounds like you had a wonderful day Mia, the photos are positively wonderful as usual:)

• Mia McPherson January 19, 2013 at 5:05 pm

It was a wonderful day Susan! Thanks for your comment on these images.

17. John Randall January 19, 2013 at 6:46 am

The Chukar has such beautiful markings and the show up so strikingly against the snow backdrop . Nice work Mia…sounds like you all had a grand day out .

• Mia McPherson January 19, 2013 at 5:06 pm

Thanks John, we did have a grand day out and it was especially nice because the day started off very gloomy and gray but the sun broke through and the birds came out!