More Barn Owl images

Barn Owl flying near a hill

Barn Owl flying near a hill – Nikon D300, f6.3, 1/2000, ISO 500, +0.3 EV, Nikkor 200-400mm VR with 1.4 TC at 400mm, natural light, not baited or called in

I wanted to share a few more Barn Owl images this morning that I like. Even though the Barn Owl is small in the frame in this file I like it because it shows more of the owl’s habitat than a close up would.

Barn Owl flying close upBarn Owl flying close up – Nikon D300, f7.1, 1/1000, ISO 500, +1.3 EV, Nikkor 200-400mm VR with 1.4 TC at 400mm, natural light, not baited or called in

And this one is a close up of a Barn Owl flying past me, I get more of a sense of the size of the bird and a great look at its very dark eye.

Perched Barn OwlPerched Barn Owl – Nikon D300, f6.3, 1/2500, ISO 500, +0.3 EV, Nikkor 200-400mm VR with 1.4 TC at 400mm, natural light, not baited or called in

Perched Barn Owl images might not be as dynamic as those when the owl’s are in flight but I enjoy how this shows the owls’ shape, plumage patterns, the profile of the face and just a hint of blood on the owl’s bill.

Barn Owl flying over a snowy wetlandBarn Owl flying over a snowy wetland – Nikon D300, f7.1, 1/1600, ISO 500, +0.7 EV, Nikkor 200-400mm VR with 1.4 TC at 400mm, natural light, not baited or called in

I love the pose as well as the background in this image, the great view of the talons and the look in the bird’s eyes.

Barn Owls fascinate me, perched, in flight, asleep or huddled against the cold.

1. Mia McPherson February 22, 2013 at 9:45 am

Thank you Eric, Bob, Beverly, Maria, Sherry, Tami, Wally, Dennis, Merrill, Lauren, Julie, Tammy, Julie, Scott, Nicole, Joe and Mom. I’ve been swamped with things lately and haven’t had time to reply to you as individuals. I appreciate each of the comments you have left.

2. Hummingbird Lover February 13, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Hi! Beautiful photo’s and great details of eyes. color and with the best backgrounds! Keep up the photo’s . Have a great day!

3. Nicole February 12, 2013 at 9:59 pm

Absolutely INCREDIBLE and FABULOUS photos!!! Barn owls are my mOST favorite owls. I don’t want them to suffer in the cold! I want them to find as many voles as they need! I am a soft hearted sucker…

4. Joe February 12, 2013 at 8:18 am

Hi! Very, very nice. You have quite the talent for capturing the spirit of the birds you photograph. Outstanding!

Joe

5. Scott (@NESASK) February 12, 2013 at 7:22 am

These photos are just stunning, Mia. This is why we need superlatives! The second image is my favorite.

6. Julie Brown February 12, 2013 at 3:48 am

All owls fascinate me. I do enjoy seeing them through your lens.

7. Tammy Karr February 11, 2013 at 7:28 pm

Outstanding photos, Mia! It’s fascinating to see the Barn Owl from all different angles.

8. Julie G. February 11, 2013 at 2:47 pm

Wow, stunning captures of these beautiful birds! The Barn Owl plumage is so very lovely. All of your photographs are fabulous!

9. lauren February 11, 2013 at 1:40 pm

Love, love love these owls (all owls) beautiful, thanks for the photos

10. Merrill Ann Gonzales February 11, 2013 at 12:01 pm

In the second photo you can see the great aerodynmic efficiency of their form…. There is something so elegant and wonderful about such “perfection” in nature. Even sitting on the post, the simplicity of the form seems elegance personified. You have captured these things well…. Many thanks.

11. Dennis Coleman February 11, 2013 at 11:57 am

You really have a gift! I assume that you must crop your shots to get the bird large in the frame. Are there technical rules that you follow to get the beautifully detailed close up shots that you post?

12. Wally February 11, 2013 at 11:08 am

Fantastic images. When it comes to bird photographs, it seems I can seldom choose a favorite. It’s interesting that several comments tend to favor the smaller in frame image showing the habitat.

13. Tami February 11, 2013 at 9:34 am

I love how you can see the soft feathers on its face in the profile photo, Mia. Gorgeous images…

14. Sherry in MT February 11, 2013 at 7:58 am

That is the most intriguing creature for sure. I actually really like the first one. Gives some perspective to size and the colors of the landscape show how well he can blend in (sans snow of course). Still looks like a flying torpedo tho – heehee.

15. M. Firpi February 11, 2013 at 7:15 am

Beautiful, what a sense of scale on the first one!

16. Beverly Everson February 11, 2013 at 7:08 am

Beautiful!

17. Bob Bushell February 11, 2013 at 5:37 am

What beautiful has this Owl, nice taken Mia.

18. eric c11 February 11, 2013 at 5:27 am

the pictures in fligth are so beautifull, very very good mia – i could say ma ma mia !!! 😉
    my preference for the 1st with the nice background ☺