Female Long-billed Curlew

Female Long-billed CurlewFemale Long-billed Curlew – Nikon D200, handheld, f6.3, 1/640, ISO 250, Nikkor 80-400mm VR at 400mm, natural light

Some people think of Robins as the harbinger of spring, some think of Bluebirds while others think of Meadowlarks but since I moved to Utah I think of Long-billed Curlews as my personal harbinger of spring. Last year they showed up the middle of March so right now it is just a little over a month before they arrive.

I photographed this female Long-billed Curlew a few years ago in Florida. The females have such long bills!

As much as I love winter I can’t wait to hear the haunting call of the Long-billed Curlews.

1. Mia McPherson February 22, 2013 at 10:00 am

Many thanks for your comments Bob, Sherry, Tami, Charlotte, Eric, Maria, Kim, Dave and Wally!

Eric, your Godwit close up is lovely!

2. Wally February 15, 2013 at 10:28 am

Great images and they helped me confirm my first sighting of this species a couple of weeks ago. Thank you!
    (“Mia’s Field Guide To The Birds” – has a nice ring to it.)

3. Dave Sparks February 15, 2013 at 5:40 am

Beautiful image, terrific light, and I really like the color and texture of the water.

4. kim February 13, 2013 at 5:57 am

I keep checking your site at night, aussie time, before heading to sleep and tonight there’s this beautiful curlew to dream about, thank you!

5. M. Firpi February 12, 2013 at 1:59 pm

That beak is an amazing work of art, and you caught is open!!!

6. eric c11 February 12, 2013 at 11:06 am

ohhhh, very beautifull bird, with a very looong beak !! bravo mia ☺

here is the longest beak i ve fot (but not so long than this one lol) http://ericc11.aminus3.com/image/2012-08-06.html

and for information, i ve found your blog somes month ago folowing a message of you with your link in julie blog in aminus3 ^_^

see you soon

7. Prairie Birder February 12, 2013 at 10:37 am

This year I hope to see a Long-billed Curlew, but if I don’t see one, your photos are a great alternative.

8. Tami February 12, 2013 at 7:43 am

Such amazing birds. Love how the light on the water complements the pink of her bill, Mia.

9. Sherry in MT February 12, 2013 at 7:43 am

What a lovely shore bird. I am always intrigued how they can manage to so easily use that long slender bill! You’ll have to let us know when they arrive for sure.

10. Bob Bushell February 12, 2013 at 5:54 am

Beauty, the Curlew is so perfect, that long beak or bill, is so unmistakable, excellent Mia.