Great Horned Owlet on a Montana farm

Home/Birds, Glacier County, Great Horned Owls, Montana/Great Horned Owlet on a Montana farm

Great Horned Owlet

Great Horned Owlet – Nikon D200, f6.3, 1/320, ISO 400, Nikkor 200-400mm VR with 1.4x TC at 400mm, natural light, not baited

People are fascinated by owls, I know I am. It might be that owls have forward facing eyes like this Great Horned Owlet. Those eyes truly draw a person in.

I photographed this young Great Horned Owlet in Glacier County, Montana in 2009 as it rested on the foundation of an old granary, its siblings were somewhere inside the dark granary interior.

I normally don’t do clone work on my  images but there was a bright pipe in the upper right hand corner that was distracting because it was bright and it didn’t look right with the rest of the old wood, rusty nails and spring green grass.

I can’t help but smile when I look at this.

*For the next few days I will be very busy, please feel free to share my posts with your family & friends!

1. Mia McPherson March 22, 2013 at 6:24 pm

Thank you all for your comments on this post, I think the owl looked adorable where it was.

Merrill, in paintings & drawing I love that people use their imagination to create the work that they do. For me though in bird, wildlife & nature photography I want what I post to be as close as possible to real life and always hesitate to use cloning tools, filters or excessive post processing and when I do use a cloning tool I always feel the need to keep it honest by disclosing that information.

2. Eileen March 14, 2013 at 6:11 pm

Wow, adorable photos. What a great sighting!

3. Bob Bushell March 14, 2013 at 2:27 pm

I love the Owls, Owlets that you can get close to them. Lovely photos.

4. Merrill Ann Gonzales March 14, 2013 at 12:35 pm

As an artist, I don’t see anything wrong with deleting a disturbing influence when you can create such a perfect image. The textures in this photo are a delight to the eye… why in the world would anyone want something to disturb the beauty you’ve created here. On top of the textures, there’s the contrast of age and youth…yet so close they might hide each other in their colorations. Wonderful poetry. Great photography. And I’m a grateful viewer for sure.

5. Laurence Butler March 14, 2013 at 9:30 am

What a terrifying creature! Great photo Mia.

6. M. Firpi March 14, 2013 at 9:05 am

Oh my goodness, he’s adorable, what a cutie. I like how you composed the shot too.

7. Wally March 14, 2013 at 8:36 am

Wonderful shot! We keep searching for owls and nests but not much luck. Osprey nests are everywhere and in years past some have been taken over by Great Horned Owls so we’re scanning all those we find a bit more carefully. I’ve also found a patch of extensive pastureland that should hold Burrowing Owls but nothing yet. Hope Spring is springing for you!

8. Sherry in MT March 14, 2013 at 7:39 am

A fat fluffy little fart isn’t he!

9. Beverly Everson March 14, 2013 at 7:14 am

Sweet!

10. Greg Britten March 14, 2013 at 6:17 am

Love the young owl, like you say, something about the eyes

11. Susan March 14, 2013 at 6:16 am

Oh my goodness, what a sweet photo, I love it!