More Mountain Plover images

Mountain PloverMountain Plover

My blog has been down much of the day because of my hosting provider; Network Solutions, having issues. They never fully explain what those “issues” are.

But I wanted to share a few more of the Mountain Plover images I took which are a lifer bird for me as well as being rare in Utah. The plovers gave me great views and the light was nice so I was able to take hundreds of images. Other local birders and bird photographers were able to take joy in seeing these lovely shorebirds and that made me happy.

I am not sure if this is a female or a male going into breeding plumage, it was definitely lighter in color than the other bird. I don’t think it is an immature bird but I am not sure.

Alert Mountain PloverAlert Mountain Plover

I believe this image to be of an adult male Mountain Plover and he certainly was stunning. The tiny purple flowers in these images are Filaree, a type of wild geranium. They are very tiny.

Mountain Plover standing on a sandy roadMountain Plover standing on a sandy road

These Mountain Plovers were wonderful to watch as they walked around searching for prey. They have a walk, walk, walk stop kind of movement.

Mountain Plover with preyMountain Plover with prey

The plover caught prey quite often, they seem to be very good hunters. Even if I never see another Mountain Plover I was amazed and delighted to find these and that feeling will be with me for a very long time.

1. Mia McPherson April 13, 2013 at 2:33 pm

Thanks to all who commented on these Mountain Plover images!

Carroll, the plovers won’t stay in this area to breed and nest, this area is outside of their range. It seems they have already moved on because no one reported seeing them yesterday or so far today.

2. Humming Bird lover April 12, 2013 at 10:34 pm

Hi! What pretty birds and the coloring is beautiful! Soo Happy you got photo’s of these rare birds! Hope your weather clears up soon!

3. Rohrerbot April 12, 2013 at 4:22 pm

Wonderful Mia. Magnificent!!! You did it!! Congrats on this bird. I would have been doing a super happy dance!

4. Loekie April 12, 2013 at 3:59 pm

Mia I really enjoyed these beautiful pictures from the Mountain Plovers. I would be ecstatic too if it’s a lifer. I was very ecstatic when today I saw a Merlin on a tree trunk having it’s dinner. Looked like a bird as prey as I saw some feathers waving in the wind. After that it was “dancing” on top of the trunk. This was also a lifer for me. I think it’s a female but know better when downloaded on the PC, the back was brown. Thanks again for sharing all your fantastic pictures!

5. Tammy Karr April 12, 2013 at 4:47 am

Congrats on your lifer, Mia! Gorgeous images of this beautiful Plover!!

6. Bob Bushell April 12, 2013 at 1:21 am

Brilliant Mia.

7. Prairie Birder April 11, 2013 at 11:20 pm

Absolutely stunning photographs, Mia!

8. Carroll Tarvin April 11, 2013 at 8:24 pm

So delighted you had such a wonderful day and that you chose to share it with so many. Will these the Mountain Plovers stay in your area for the season or move on swiftly?

9. Wally April 11, 2013 at 7:17 pm

The quality of your photographs and your unbridled joy at seeing this new bird are really terrific! Thank you so much for sharing both!
    (From what I read about this species, they are supposed to be shy and wary. You guys must have kind faces!)

10. Susan April 11, 2013 at 4:13 pm