Male Cassin's FinchMale Cassin’s Finch

I’ve only had one opportunity to photograph Cassin’s Finches so far and that was in the small town of Lakeview where the headquarters of Red Rock Lakes national Wildlife Refuge is located. Typically I don’t photograph birds at or near feeders but in this case there was a feeder nearby and this male Cassin’s Finch was obliging. The background is an old wooden building so the setting wasn’t as natural as I would like either but I wanted the images I took of a bird that has otherwise been a nemesis for me.

That strong bill looks like it wouldn’t have any trouble cracking a hard-shelled nut!

~I’m back from my trip and trying to catch up.

1. Mia McPherson May 27, 2013 at 7:35 pm

Thanks for all of your comments!

2. Ingrid May 23, 2013 at 5:30 pm

Lovely! I’ve never seen one and would have to look him up if I ever did.

3. Eileen May 18, 2013 at 3:13 am

Pretty shot of the finch. Mia! Have a great weekend and happy birding!

4. Prairie Birder May 18, 2013 at 12:05 am

I have never seen a Cassin’s Finch before, but they are such pretty birds. Beautiful photo as always, Mia!

5. Bonnie peel May 17, 2013 at 4:32 pm

Now I’m wondering how many Cassin’s finches I assumed were house finches . Hmmmm.

6. Carroll Tarvin May 17, 2013 at 3:08 pm

What lovely colors. Thanks for the glimpse of such a sweet looking bird.

7. Merrill Ann Gonzales May 17, 2013 at 1:39 pm

I expect that “feeders” is the most natural setting these birds visit at this point. It would be interesting to find out where most of their food comes from, feeders or the wild. I love images of the finches, sparrows and other small birds so many overlook. This photo with the raw wood and the dark background surely set off the lovely feather colors and form of this bird

8. eric c11 May 17, 2013 at 1:00 pm

one bird i discover with you, very nice ☺
    have a nice day

9. Jane Chesebrough May 17, 2013 at 9:45 am

It is a nice pic, and looks similar to the house finch (which sounds so much better than the usual house sparrows outside my window).As I practise photographing more, I find I like to get the feeders out of the picture , the branches out of the way as well as the butt shots and capture the glint in the eye.Have a nice weekend.

10. Lynn Koch May 17, 2013 at 8:52 am

Beautiful pic, Mia, and I love his coloring. It’s really soft and subtle!

11. Syl Lobato May 17, 2013 at 8:34 am

great photo..we have these little birds at our feeders, but have not been able to determine if they are Common Polls or the Cassin’s Finch. They are a delight to watch and such bright colors this time of year. Thanks so much for all you share with us. Have a great day.

12. Dave Sparks May 17, 2013 at 8:24 am

Congrats on finally getting a shot of Cassin’s. Not a bird I’ve seen but will be looking for one whenever I’m in the west. The red crown and pink breast are a more pleasing combination than I would have expected.

13. Bob Bushell May 17, 2013 at 5:40 am

A beauty, well spotted Mia.