Juvenile Loggerhead Shrike close up

Juvenile Loggerhead Shrike close upJuvenile Loggerhead Shrike close up – Nikon D300, handheld, f7.1, 1/1000, ISO 640, +0.7 EV, Nikkor 200-400mm VR with 1.4x TC at 400mm, natural light

Yesterday a family of Loggerhead Shrikes kept us busy for a bit as the juveniles begged the adults to feed them and the adults were hunting food to bring to the rather noisy youngsters on Antelope Island State Park. One of the juveniles came very close to flying into the open windows of the pickup!

One of the young Loggerhead Shrikes flew onto a very close, elevated perch near the pickup and sat there for quite a few minutes so I decided to do some close up portrait images of it because I didn’t want the ugly, manmade perch to be visible in the frames. I had to turn off my limiter because the bird was so close in order to be able to focus on the young shrike.

It isn’t often I am this close to a Loggerhead Shrike!

1. Mia McPherson July 29, 2013 at 4:41 pm

My thanks to everyone who commented on this post.

Maria, I do still use the noodle for almost all of my images, because this bird was perched up high I braced my elbows on the noodle to shot these images instead of using the noodle. That way I could get my lens higher.

2. Calling adult Loggerhead Shrike July 5, 2013 at 3:46 am

[…] days ago I posted a portrait of a juvenile Loggerhead Shrike that I had photographed on Antelope Island State Park, today I am posting an image of an adult […]

3. M. Firpi July 4, 2013 at 6:38 am

Mia, I saw you shot this handheld, did you still use the noodle? Soon I will be posting some tips to protect the upper extremity from further damage while hand holding large lenses. I say ‘further damage’, because I myself already need to protect both my hands, but my right hand has had its share from the woodworking I did when I was much younger.

4. Stu July 3, 2013 at 8:39 pm

also shrikes remind me of Birding the Net 😉

5. Stu July 3, 2013 at 8:39 pm

Great shot Mia.. The bird looks 50 ft tall 😉

6. Sherry in MT July 3, 2013 at 4:31 pm

Wowsa nice Mia! I’ve only ever seen a shrike once and it landed on my deck this winter. Surprised when I learned what they eat.

7. Elephant's Child July 3, 2013 at 4:14 pm

And what a close-up it is. Stunning detail – thank you.

8. eric c11 July 3, 2013 at 3:06 pm

wow, so close !! wonderfull
    with juveniles, normaly we have more lucks to get it closer, you did it very well =))
    have a nice day mia

9. Bob Bushell July 3, 2013 at 1:54 pm

Now that is a Shrike, brilliant Mia.

10. Merrill Ann Gonzales July 3, 2013 at 12:13 pm

It’s almost like holding the bird in my hand as I explore your photo! Marvelous!

11. Sheila July 3, 2013 at 12:05 pm

I am lucky to see this bird where I live and travel. I use to think less of them, because they prey on small birds. I was much younger and I don’t feel this way now. All have to eat and survive, as they say – nature’s way. Mia, amazing images of this beautiful bird.

12. Pierre Cenerelli July 3, 2013 at 11:24 am

Another great shot with great details… and what a magnificent lens!

13. Neil July 3, 2013 at 7:17 am

Can’t say I’ve ever been that close to a Loggerhead before. Great details in the feathers Mia.

14. John Randall July 3, 2013 at 7:08 am

Beautiful portrait Mia .

15. patty chadwick July 3, 2013 at 7:04 am

Holy Molely, What a shot!!! The detail is absolutely fantastic! You did good, girl! I’ve only seen one once, a very brief visitor on his way to somewhere else. Now I know for sure it what it was I saw. Thanks.