Western Grebe at Bear River National Wildlife Refuge

Adult Western GrebeAdult Western Grebe

The other day when I photographed the Black-crowned Night Heron at Bear River National Wildlife Refuge I also photographed some Clark’s and Western Grebes, I found these two images of this Western Grebe interesting and wanted to post them.

This is a classical pose for a Western Grebe photograph, it shows the long elegant neck, the sharp bill and those maraschino cherry red eyes. I wish the light had been a touch better but there were some clouds overhead that prevented the best light from occurring.

Western Grebe head onWestern Grebe head on

Now this pose with a head on look… well I find it humorous! It isn’t often that I get to take Western Grebe images with the face head on. I just had to share.

1. Mia McPherson July 29, 2013 at 5:03 pm

Thank you all for your comments on this grebe post.

Ingrid, in Western Grebes the dark cap usually extends below the eyes and in Clark’s there is usually white surrounding the eyes but there are hybrids which can be tricky!

2. Ingrid July 14, 2013 at 2:08 am

I still have trouble with my Western vs. Clark’s ID distinctions … but tend to go with Western, due to their general prevalence in my area … which I suppose is reasonable. I agree with Larry — love this perspective. Oh, and, I would [almost] kill for light as good as this! I didn’t realize how dim my perspectives were until I traveled home to San Francisco last month and couldn’t believe how low my ISO could be in that clear California light. 🙂

3. Larry Jordan July 12, 2013 at 7:53 pm

I have seen a lot of Western Grebe photos and taken quite a few myself but I don’t think I have ever seen a head on shot like that Mia. That is awesome! They look so different from that angle.

4. Merrill Ann Gonzales July 12, 2013 at 1:35 pm

Now I know what one Western Grebe looks like to another as they meet! 🙂

5. Sheila July 12, 2013 at 12:46 pm

It is rare to see a head on photo, especially with water birds. I really like your photo; beautiful eyes with a surprise expression ( it seem to me).

6. Neil July 12, 2013 at 7:24 am

Look at those crazy eyes!! Awesome.

7. Sherry in MT July 12, 2013 at 7:21 am

I really like that head on shot, shows how their eyes are set much better than from the side.

8. patty chadwick July 12, 2013 at 6:41 am

Beautiful! Elegant!

9. Cheryl Valdez July 12, 2013 at 6:04 am

That is a great capture, so difficult to get those eyes just right. Oh well, practice, practice, practice. Your photographs give me something to aspire to. Thank you for sharing them.

10. Bob Bushell July 12, 2013 at 4:03 am

Oh wow, that Grebe is superb, I loooooove it.