More Hummingbird images

Looking upLooking up – Nikon D300, f5.6, ISO 640, 1/2000, Nikkor 200-400mm VR with 1.4x TC at 400mm, natural light

Yesterday I went back to the island to see if I could photograph more hummingbirds and they did not disappoint so I thought I would share two more images of them. I loved the pose of the bird above and the wonderfully smooth background, it was looking up at another hummingbird flying above it. I really enjoy getting these images in non-set up conditions with the birds doing what they want to do naturally.

It was also nice to meet Jeff and Liz Gordon of the ABA yesterday at the entrance to Antelope Island State Park. ABA

Calliope Hummingbird feeding on the nectar of a Rocky Mountain Bee PlantCalliope Hummingbird feeding on the nectar of a Rocky Mountain Bee Plant – Nikon D300, f5.6, ISO 640, 1/2000, Nikkor 200-400mm VR with 1.4x TC at 400mm, natural light

This image I like for the “messier” background because there are so many different layers and depth to it.

I am having a great time photographing these hummingbirds and they have helped to take my mind off of other things while I have had them in my viewfinder and when I view the images on my screen.

Please ook at the very thorough and thoughtful opinion that Jeff Cooper offered on the ID of Calliope for the birds I posted yesterday in the comments section of Calliope Hummingbirds?

Happy Friday everyone.

1. eric c11 September 1, 2013 at 11:58 pm

ohh, it s so beautifull !!
    thank very much mia, it s a pleasure to watch these humming birds =))

• Mia McPherson September 2, 2013 at 1:33 pm

Thanks Eric, these hummingbirds have been a joy to photograph.

2. Sheila August 31, 2013 at 8:33 pm

My career was in the computer field, I used a Windows based PC for so many years. This summer I traded my PC for a Mac Mini and I LOVE it. Good luck with your computer equipment!

3. Larry Jordan August 30, 2013 at 10:31 pm

More beautiful images Mia. I am curious what shutter speed you used of the bird in flight to freeze the wings, or were the wings caught at the pause at the top of the wing beat?

• Mia McPherson August 31, 2013 at 4:42 pm

Larry,

I went back and added the techs for all the hummingbird images since I had time to do that after the computer mess ups this week. I hope that will help with your question about shutter speed. Thanks so much for commenting.

4. M. Firpi August 30, 2013 at 7:13 pm

Mia, these are so delightful, I also love the wildflowers. What a great natural setting, as you say, no set-up or called in.

• Mia McPherson August 31, 2013 at 4:41 pm

Thanks maria, these were great fun to photograph

5. Montanagirl August 30, 2013 at 3:36 pm

Such beautiful Hummers and photos. Your photos really are breathtaking.

6. Elephant's Child August 30, 2013 at 2:01 pm

Just beautiful. I found myself holding my breath looking at the screen. If I had been there with you I may have forgotten to breathe at all.
    I hope your computer woes are things of the past.

• Mia McPherson August 31, 2013 at 4:40 pm

EC, I sometimes hold my breath when photograph these beauties, I have to remember to breathe!

Hopefully soon I will have my computer back, this old one works okay but it is very slow!

7. Nicole August 30, 2013 at 11:26 am

Hummers are MY FAVORITE and these are FANTASTIC photos!!!!! The Napa Solano Audubon is doing a hummingbird project with kids this summer – they passed out scarlet runner beans to the kids to plant.

• Mia McPherson August 31, 2013 at 4:36 pm

Thank you Nicole! Hummers are awesome.

8. Sheila August 30, 2013 at 11:18 am

Female Calliope Hummingbirds have an apricot-colored wash on their underparts. They have a short, very straight bill and a short green tail with white corners. When perched, the wings should extend beyond the tail. They tend to feed lower on flowering plants than most other hummingbirds. Be cautious in this identification.

Plumage
    Adult male: Metallic green back and crown, white gorget with purple rays that may be erected to show a “whiskered” effect.
    Adult female: Green back and crown, white throat with dark streaks, buff sides, white-tipped tail corners.

I got the above descriptions from the web – just FYI. It is always fun and challenging to make an ID sometimes. The dark streaks on the throat of the female Calliope is on an adult.

I just LOVE your image of her looking up. What a sweet face, perfect pose and a perfect photo!! Congratulations on these Mia!!!!

• Mia McPherson August 31, 2013 at 4:34 pm

Thanks for the information Sheila!

9. Scott August 30, 2013 at 10:25 am

Ruby-throated Hummingbirds are just beginning to appear in our garden again after not seeing them for quite a while. It’s relatively easy to catch a photo of them at the feeder, but I agree with you, a photography of Hummingbirds in the wild is so much much better, and your images are stunning.

10. patty chadwick August 30, 2013 at 8:33 am

Mia–these are real winners! I’m doing a watercolor of hummingbirds for a fund raiser. It’s for an environmental group I’m a member of called FrOGS for Friends Of the Great Swamp, in Patterson, NY. We have all kinds of year round programs and activities geared toward environmental education, enjoyment, and preservation of the the Great Swamp and surrounding areas. Every October we have an art show, for kids and adults, environmental exhibits and displays, falconry, birds of prey, hands-on live rehab. “ambassador” animals (that can’t be released), slide shows, music, membership drive, etc. I just finished 2 bobcat pictures, am about to do one of some hummingbirds (ruby-throated) and one of a great blue. Your pictures are great for reference. All art is supposed to show trails, canoe routes,permanent residents and seasonal, migratory visitors of the swamp, plants, amphibians,birds, insects, mammals, etc., each accompanied by a brief description or fact sheet. I like to glue an extra copy on the back of my paintings.

• Mia McPherson August 31, 2013 at 4:32 pm

Patty, your projects sound wonderful! I hope you have a marvelous time at the fund raiser.

Thanks for your comment.

11. Beverly Everson August 30, 2013 at 7:17 am

Gorgeous birds and images, Mia!

12. judy watson August 30, 2013 at 6:59 am

Absolutely beautiful!!

13. Bob Bushell August 30, 2013 at 5:05 am

Beautiful, what speed do you use?

• Mia McPherson August 31, 2013 at 4:29 pm

Bob, I have been using ISO 640 and hoping to get enjoy shutter speed for these tiny dynamos. I think I accept the motion blur in the wings easily though especially since I wouldn’t use flash on these beauties.

14. Sonja Ross August 30, 2013 at 4:49 am

I really like that first one, but do like the other one too. I hope you have managed to sort out your computer problems.

• Mia McPherson August 31, 2013 at 4:28 pm

Thank you Sonja, computer is being repaired, I hope I get it back soon.