Red-necked Grebe adultRed-necked Grebe adult – Nikon D300, f7.1, 1/320, ISO 400, Nikkor 200-400mm VR with 1.4x TC at 500mm, natural light

I have loads of Western, Clark’s, Eared Grebe and Pied-billed Grebe images but very, very few Red-necked Grebe photos. This past summer I was able to photograph this adult Red-necked Grebe while I was in Montana and while they aren’t among my best images I appreciate having had the opportunity just to view this grebe.

Western and Clark’s Grebes are often confused with each other because of similar size and appearance, Horned Grebes and Eared Grebes in non breeding plumage can be mistaken for each other too but the Red-necked Grebe is unmistakable in breeding plumage with its red neck, white chin area and black cap.  Red-necked Grebes are beautiful but wary subjects in the Centennial Valley.  Some day I hope I will have images the show off their beauty in a much better way.

1. Hummingbirdlover September 8, 2013 at 10:16 pm

Hi! I hope I am now on the blog listing? Great photo’s have a good shooting trip

2. Jane Chesebrough September 5, 2013 at 10:43 pm

Very nice capture of this lovely bird with excellent lighting.

3. Julie Brown September 5, 2013 at 4:46 am

Nice habitat shot, Mia. I have seen this species just one time. Luckily for me, I got an image of one right here in Indianapolis!

• Mia McPherson September 5, 2013 at 7:49 pm

Congrats on getting images of this species so close to home Julie and thanks for commenting.

4. Wally September 4, 2013 at 6:45 pm

That’s a beautiful bird, Mia! I think a few have wandered into Florida by mistake during migration. I sure would love to see one. Your outstanding image (in my opinion…) is the next best thing! Thank you!

• Mia McPherson September 5, 2013 at 7:48 pm

Wally, I see that these grebes do wander into Florida at times, I think they are visiting for the Palm Trees and sugar sand beaches 🙂

Thanks for your comment.

5. Bryce Robinson September 4, 2013 at 6:00 pm

I saw a few Red-necked Grebe this summer, but I never took a photo worth keeping, let alone sharing. You have a great photo here Mia. I’m glad you shared it.

• Mia McPherson September 5, 2013 at 7:47 pm

Thanks Bryce, I keep hoping to see more of these handsome grebes that are a little bit less skittish.

6. Ricky September 4, 2013 at 2:32 pm

Gorgeous, excellent shot Mia. What a beautiful bird.

7. Merrill Ann Gonzales September 4, 2013 at 1:48 pm

Thank you, Mia… I love the grebes… They are such interesting birds. As an artist, I sometimes have my paintings on display… and one year I had the pied-billed grebe in a painting. What fascinated me were the comments I heard from passers by. I got into a discussion with one man who could not distinguish the difference between the grebe and a duck. After studying birds for so many years and enjoying painting them as realistically as possible, it disturbed me that some people just can’t get passed calling any water bird a duck.
    I suppose you have many, many encounters with all sorts of responses … although presenting your birds the way you do brings so much information to people… it eases my concerns some.
    I am so fortunate to be able to see the red-neck grebe … thank you … the information you present is worth more than any perfection of photography can be worth.

• Mia McPherson September 5, 2013 at 7:45 pm

Merrill, I have noticed that some people call grebes ducks too, I think we can help people learn the difference!

8. Tami September 4, 2013 at 9:30 am

I love the muted colors and then the burst of green, Mia. The atmosphere of the photo is lovely. Can’t wait to see more some day!

9. Stu September 4, 2013 at 9:10 am

I actually really like this image, it has an understated presence and a great setting

10. Laurence Butler September 4, 2013 at 7:46 am

Very excellent! They’re secretive birds and rare in Arizona, but are so elegant and colorful as well…my favorite Grebe for sure.

• Mia McPherson September 5, 2013 at 7:28 pm

Thank you Laurence, they are quite skittish in my experience.

11. Montanagirl September 4, 2013 at 7:08 am

Well, it looks like a pretty nice photo to me! He’s beautiful!!

12. Elephant's Child September 4, 2013 at 4:43 am

I have never seen a red-necked anything look so good.

• Mia McPherson September 5, 2013 at 7:27 pm

Thanks EC, they are quite lovely.

13. Bob Bushell September 4, 2013 at 4:33 am

Beautiful shot,like you, I can’t get a Little Grebe, which is a bit like your Red-necked Grebe, only without the Red neck.

• Mia McPherson September 5, 2013 at 7:26 pm

Bob, these grebes can be a nemesis, can’t they?

14. Sonja Ross September 4, 2013 at 4:02 am

They do look to be a handsome grebe. I hope you get another chance to spend time photographing them.

• Mia McPherson September 5, 2013 at 7:26 pm

Thanks Sonja, I hope I do too.