Black-bellied Plover in beach habitat

Home/Birds, Black-bellied Plovers, Florida, Fort De Soto County Park/Black-bellied Plover in beach habitat

Black-bellied Plover in habitat

Black-bellied Plover in habitat – Nikon D200, handheld, f6.3, 1/1250, ISO 320, Nikkor 80-400mm VR at 400mm, natural light

I mentioned in my Tricolored Heron post a while ago that I like images where they show the natural habitat the birds live in, in part I feel that way because it lends a sense of place and also because of the visual interest the natural habitat gives to images. I can’t imagine the image above would hold much appeal for many people if this had been taken while the Black-bellied Plover stood on a blacktopped road.

This Black-bellied Plover was standing on a dune dunelet that wasn’t much higher than the sand around it that had sparse short grasses which I found appealing.

Black-bellied PloverBlack-bellied Plover – Nikon D200, handheld, f6.3, 1/1500, ISO 320, Nikkor 80-400mm VR at 400mm, natural light

Both of these images are of the same bird, in this frame it had moved a little south and was closer to the tiny mangrove trying to establish itself on the dunelet.

I like to make a habit of including habitat whenever the opportunity presents itself and it often does.

More from my recent trip to Montana soon, I was too busy yesterday to process any of the images.

1. Posts from the Past – Shorebirds July 25, 2014 at 3:45 am

[…] see this post please click here or click on the image to the […]

2. Utahbooklover September 15, 2013 at 11:25 pm

Nice images, especially the first one. Thanks for sharing, Mia.

3. Elephant's Child September 15, 2013 at 5:27 pm

I love to see natural habitat (and loved the plover and could almost feel that sand between my toes) – but sometimes a truly unnatural habitat also adds to the photo – if only for the contrast. Or am I just rationalising?

4. Eileen September 15, 2013 at 4:59 pm

Mia, adorable shot of the Black-bellied Plover. Perfect photos!

5. Carroll Tarvin September 15, 2013 at 3:55 pm

I left a comment before. But, I came back to them this afternoon and my comment is – What charming birds and so regal, but where are the black bellies?

6. Jane Chesebrough September 15, 2013 at 11:54 am

As I get more attuned to habitat, I am more likely to look in the appropriate places when out seeking birds-it does make a difference.Like this shot of the plover.

7. M. Firpi September 15, 2013 at 6:49 am

Wow, I love those pearly black eyes!

8. Montanagirl September 15, 2013 at 5:55 am

Those are really nice shots. Love the natural habitat – it really adds to the photo. I like to do the same, but I find that Meadowlarks are invariably on a fencepost right by the road, and rarely perch on anything else, unless it’s down in the grass where I can’t see them. They’ll land on barbwire a lot too.

9. Sonja Ross September 15, 2013 at 5:55 am

I really like that first one with all the natural tones and touches of green – very peacefuland relaxing.

10. Carroll Tarvin September 15, 2013 at 5:48 am

These are wonderfully interesting photos. The birds are exceptional and the habit does indeed add a dimension to the whole scene. Thank you for all you beautiful work. I can’t wait to see it each morning.

11. Julie Brown September 15, 2013 at 5:41 am

Excellent feather detail on this handsome bird, Mia. A species I have yet to see in person. I totally agree with you about including habitat in bird images.