Red-tailed Hawk juveniles On the Wing

/, Birds, Red-tailed Hawks, Utah/Red-tailed Hawk juveniles On the Wing

Juvenile Red-tailed Hawk gliding byJuvenile Red-tailed Hawk gliding by – Nikon D300, f7.1, 1/1600, ISO 640, +0.3 EV, Nikkor 200-400mm VR with 1.4x TC at 400mm, natural light, not baited

I’ve been missing the juvenile Red-tailed Hawks that I photographed on Antelope Island State Park that I first spotted there towards the end of last year’s summer who hung around into the fall. Before the vole population crashed the young hawks and a few adults were such great subjects and I could almost depend on seeing one or two of them within easy reach of my lens.

Red-tailed Hawk juvenile in flightRed-tailed Hawk juvenile in flight – Nikon D300, f7.1, 1/1600, ISO 640, +0.3 EV, Nikkor 200-400mm VR with 1.4x TC at 400mm, natural light, not baited

Watching the immature hawks learning to perfect their hunting skills was a joy and I loved it when they would perch on the dark rocks or on the wing as they fly past me because it made for some wonderful photographic opportunities. These raptors look powerful when they are perched and even more so when they are on the wing.

Landing Red-tailed Hawk juvenileLanding Red-tailed Hawk juvenile – Nikon D300, f7.1, 1/1250, ISO 640, +0.3 EV, Nikkor 200-400mm VR with 1.4x TC at 257mm, natural light, not baited

There haven’t been as many raptors on Antelope Island since the vole population crashed last year but as the vole population increases they will come back.

One of the juvenile Red-tailed Hawks I photographed on Antelope Island last year has “migrated” to Switzerland where my photo of it will be featured on a 5 x 15 meter sign for a yacht company. The yacht company liked “the attributes associated with a hawk … Wanderer, Gracefulness, Defensive, Sharp Vision etc.” because it matches their “voyage philosophy”.  I hope to post a photo of the sign when they put it up and photograph it for me.

* I was working this post up last night an accidentally hit “publish” instead of draft when I only had the images on the page at which point I quickly changed it back to a draft. Sorry for the extra email that was sent out to subscribers last night that went to an error page. I shouldn’t work on posts when I am tired.

1. eric c11 September 29, 2013 at 12:01 am

it s beautifull fligth scene well captured, very nice =)))
    we can imagine it s easy to do this when we see this kind of images, almost for the poeople who never try it, isnt it ?
    it is mainly the preparation and the choice of a good place before you get, sometimes very quickly, sometimes after several tries
    see you soon

2. humming bird lover September 28, 2013 at 9:47 am

Hi! this is a beautiful bird and the colors, light and scenery is great! Have a great day!

3. Sonja Ross September 28, 2013 at 4:44 am

The last one is my favourite too!

4. jo smith September 27, 2013 at 8:27 pm

They are a beautiful, the last one is my favorite.

5. Sheila September 27, 2013 at 7:20 pm

Outstanding! I love these shots, especially the last one! You are amazing Mia!
    Congratulations of your Hawk photo; wow Switzerland!

6. Elephant's Child September 27, 2013 at 2:19 pm

Congratulations.
    And thank you for featuring juveniles which I think have MUCH more charm than those of our own species. And more beauty too.

7. Merrill Ann Gonzales September 27, 2013 at 1:20 pm

Sometimes I think we work on things when we are tired or when we don’t feel well, as it gives us energy… and concentrating on such gorgeous birds and their physical strength and grace just increases that energy level. Many thanks. I don’t care how many posts you send…. just glad you do when you can.

8. Sally Wood September 27, 2013 at 11:19 am

Great views, Mia!

9. Rachel LeBlanc September 27, 2013 at 7:56 am

Beautiful pictures as always. Congratulations on your art being chosen for “publication”. Sounds like it was a perfect fit for the company!

10. Beverly Everson September 27, 2013 at 7:06 am

Outstanding, Mia!

11. Stu September 27, 2013 at 6:48 am

Great Photos Mia and good to see your pictures being seen at other locations ( legally 😉 ! ..

12. Montanagirl September 27, 2013 at 6:27 am

Superb photography! Your photos are simple breath-taking. Congrats on your photo being chosen!!

13. judy watson September 27, 2013 at 6:04 am

Fantastic photos again.
    And congrats on the featured photo for the company!
    How exciting!