Limpkin in Lakeland

/, Florida, Lakeland, Limpkins/Limpkin in Lakeland

Limpkin in LakelandLimpkin in Lakeland

I don’t seem to be able to catch up with replying to all of your comments lately. Things should be settling down soon. I sure hope so!

In the meantime I am Limpkin along. I photographed this Limpkin in Lakeland, Florida in between trips to the Western U.S. and a trip home to Virginia to say goodbye to my father. At the time I took this image it helped me to think about nature and birds instead of how ill my dad was. Nature heals slowly but surely.

PS, the sound of a Limpkins call is fascinating, you can listen here.

2016-12-07T12:10:41+00:00 October 7th, 2013|Categories: Birds, Florida, Lakeland, Limpkins|Tags: , , , , , |9 Comments

1. Elephant's Child October 7, 2013 at 2:28 pm

What a beautiful and, anthromorphism to the fore here, serene and ‘wise’ looking bird. And I hope your need for limpkin screams disappears quickly. (Though it would be a wonderful way to release pressure…)

2. Jeannie October 7, 2013 at 2:16 pm

I recently subscribed to your blog and really love your bird shots. I used to love seeing Limpkins when I lived in S. Florida. WE live in Colorado now, and I love it here, but do miss some of those fabulous South Florida birds

3. Stu October 7, 2013 at 10:28 am

Fantastic clarity and setting.. did not even know there was such a bird as a Limpkin I am ashamed to say ;). Also thanks for the link to its call.. In this picture it looks like it is waiting at a bus stop 😉 <- the resting on one leg thing..

4. judy watson October 7, 2013 at 8:03 am

Absolutely gorgeous!
    It was funny though…..the dog hear the Limpkin and couldn’t get out from under the blanket on my lap fast enough. Then started at the monitor and turned his head this way and that way. Then he barked.

5. Montanagirl October 7, 2013 at 6:59 am

That’s a beautiful bird and photo. I listened to their calls: there’s no mistaking it when one of these is in the neighborhood!

6. patty chadwick October 7, 2013 at 6:49 am

Replies can be nice, especially when they are informative, but it’s the incredible photos, like this one, that are what I value most…and comments from you and your followers that describe a setting, behavior or other interesting facts.

7. Kim October 7, 2013 at 4:44 am

I’ve never heard of this species before, it’s beautiful and I love the over the shoulder look, it’s very intimate.

8. M. Firpi October 7, 2013 at 4:00 am

I must have driven through Lakeland a couple of times; but didn’t stop. The Limpkin looks lovely.

9. Bob Bushell October 7, 2013 at 3:47 am