Juvenile White-crowned Sparrow foraging

Home/Birds, Antelope Island State Park, Davis County, Utah, White-crowned Sparrows/Juvenile White-crowned Sparrow foraging

juvenile White-crowned Sparrow foragingJuvenile White-crowned Sparrow foraging – Nikon D300, f6.3, 1/1600, ISO 800, -0.3 EV, Nikkor 200-400mm VR with 1.4x TC at 400mm, natural light

Lately I have been seeing White-crowned Sparrows in the West Desert, at Farmington Bay WMA and Antelope Island State Park in increasing numbers and many of them will over winter here in the Salt Lake Valley of Utah. I photographed this juvenile White-crowned Sparrow foraging about this same time last year on Antelope Island State Park below some Sagebrush and Greasewood on the north end of the island.

Even though many people consider them just “little brown birds”  I think they are subtly beautiful, make great subjects for bird photography and their soft calls always seem to make me smile.

1. Sally Wood October 26, 2013 at 2:03 pm

I agree, they may not be the stars of the bird world, but are still very pretty birds

2. Utahbooklover October 24, 2013 at 8:45 pm

I agree with you completely, Mia — and thanks for the link which allowed me to quickly listen to their calls, including their alarm call.

3. Wally October 24, 2013 at 4:47 pm

I given myself a challenge this year to target our migrating sparrows. Hope I can find a few!
    Thank you for the inspiration! Great photograph!

4. Merrill Ann Gonzales October 24, 2013 at 1:33 pm

There’s something about a sparrow in winter that strengthens our emotions… It’s as if nothing in the world bothers them! I wish we could see more sparrows around here… I don’t know why we haven’t had them for the last few years…

Thanks for this gorgeous photo…

5. Elephant's Child October 24, 2013 at 1:22 pm

Thanks Mia. I love the LBJs, and have found that when I take the time to stop and look that the soft colours in their plumage are beautiful – and not dull at all. Muted magic.

6. Montanagirl October 24, 2013 at 9:03 am

He’s beautiful! Nicely captured.