Black-bellied Plover on a tidal mudflat

/, Black-bellied Plovers, Florida, Pinellas County/Black-bellied Plover on a tidal mudflat

Black-bellied Plover on a tidal mudflatBlack-bellied Plover on a tidal mudflat – Nikon D200, handheld, f8, 1/250, ISO 200, Nikkor 80-400mm VR at 400mm, natural light

I love the light and the mudflat setting I photographed this Black-bellied Plover in on a warm April morning in Florida several years ago. There are probably some photographers who might disagree with me about the aesthetics of the muddy setting but I think this image shows the plover in its natural habitat and that is what I strive for with my bird photography.

Mud isn’t ugly but perhaps it is only our perception of it that is.

1. Bryce November 3, 2013 at 3:22 pm

What a great photo. I always love a sharp look at a shorebird.

2. Kathie November 2, 2013 at 1:26 pm

Mia, I love the soft light and the soft, natural colors! I think you are right on target!

3. Eileen November 2, 2013 at 3:55 am

Adorable shot of the cute Plover, Mia! Happy weekend to you!

4. Wally November 1, 2013 at 9:57 pm

Anyone who disagrees with you about shooting a shorebird on a mudflat is likely to only photograph birds in a studio setting – by appointment.

Another beautiful image of a beautiful bird, Mia! Don’t you just love there subtle plumage?

5. Utahbooklover November 1, 2013 at 8:15 pm

I agree the lighting is perfect and the natural habitat always desirable.

6. Sonja Ross November 1, 2013 at 3:45 pm

It is great lighting and I also like to photograph birds where they live and behaving naturally.

7. Elephant's Child November 1, 2013 at 2:26 pm

‘Mud, mud, glorious mud. There is nothing quite like it for cooling the blood’.
    Beauty is where you find it – and you certainly captured it here. Thank you.

8. Merrill Ann Gonzales November 1, 2013 at 1:53 pm

correction: To a plover or a mudpiper, I suppose mud is just lovely.

9. Merrill Ann Gonzales November 1, 2013 at 1:52 pm

Your mention of mud reminds me of something I came across a few years ago. I was drawing a sandpiper for a friend of mine’s haiku… and settled on the Least Sandpiper… which I came to find out sometimes was called a “Mudpiper”… In any event the little fellow was as lovely as any other Sandpiper (if a bit small)… and I had a great time with the feathering.
    To a plover or a mudpiper, I doubt mud is just lovely.

10. Stu November 1, 2013 at 5:51 am

Great Lighting I agree.. has a very ‘personal’ feel.

11. Bob Bushell November 1, 2013 at 5:38 am