Winter Coyote

Winter CoyoteWinter Coyote – Nikon D300, f6.3, 1/640, ISO 800, Nikkor 200-400mm VR with 1.4x TC at 314mm, natural light, not baited or called in

Yesterday I heard Coyotes calling on Antelope Island State Park, it has been a while since I heard the Song Dogs singing so I was thrilled to hear them. I’m glad and grateful that Coyotes are not hunted or killed on the island. As apex predators they are vital for maintaining natural balance.

It is a shame that more people don’t realize that.

1. Jane Chesebrough November 19, 2013 at 6:21 pm

Song dogs – I like that. This one looks healthy and has such character.

2. Patty Chadwick November 18, 2013 at 7:25 pm

We live near a golf course…hunting grounds for a coyote family. We hear them sing up the moon at night and sing down the moon in the morning. Sometimes we hear them sing to the fire emergency siren’s “song” in the village. I’m thrilled by the sound of wildness, and though I’ve never heard the name “song dogs” before, It fits so very, very well.

3. Sally Wood November 18, 2013 at 5:12 pm

If there ever was a real life ‘wiley coyote’ expression caught on camera, this is it! We hear them around here in the early evening. Sadly, they are hated by many people in these parts. Some have said they will even stalk a child. I know that outdoor cats are in danger, but I accept that. I like them, though I am not sure how well they are doing around here.

4. Julie G. November 18, 2013 at 3:02 pm

So glad this coyote is protected on the island. It is a beautiful creature. Awesome photograph, Mia! The broken sheets of ice in the background is so very interesting.

5. Elephant's Child November 18, 2013 at 1:20 pm

Stunning photo – and I have a big weakness for survivors (and predators). The coyote wins on both counts.

6. Cheryl Valdez November 18, 2013 at 12:36 pm

As always, love your coyotes, Mia. We hear them quite often when hiking. Wish they were all as safe as they are on the island.

7. Utahbooklover November 18, 2013 at 12:33 pm

Would liked to have heard those special songs; I’m also happy to know they are safe from hunters on the island at least. Nice photo Mia.

8. Stu November 18, 2013 at 7:42 am

For me, they have the friendliest faces..great photo..

9. Lois Bryan November 18, 2013 at 7:06 am

What a beauty he is!!

10. Montanagirl November 18, 2013 at 7:55 am

Stunning photo!

11. Julie Brown November 18, 2013 at 4:33 am

I’m glad too, Mia. Nice eye contact and a good look at those alert ears. That must be snow plow pile-up behind the coyote.

• Mia McPherson November 18, 2013 at 4:48 am

Thanks Julie. That is actually sheet ice from the Great Salt Lake behind the Coyote. A strong north wind piled it up on the shoreline. It was fascinating ice.

12. Bob Bushell November 18, 2013 at 3:57 am

Beautiful animals, and yes Mia, I too am grateful that the Coyotes are places for them.