An Osprey just Floundering around

/, Florida, Fort De Soto County Park, Ospreys/An Osprey just Floundering around

Osprey with flounder over the GulfOsprey with flounder over the Gulf – Nikon D200, handheld, f6.3, 1/750, ISO 160, Nikkor 80-400mm VR at 116mm, natural light, Osprey caught the Flounder

Some of my images make me laugh and this Osprey image with a Flounder that weighs almost as much as the bird does make me laugh. I was photographing  pelicans in the Gulf of Mexico with my friends Adrian and Bill at Fort De Soto County Park’s north beach when I spotted an Osprey coming towards us with a wiggling Flounder in its talons. The Osprey was flying surprisingly fast and I knew it was going to fly right over top of us, I just didn’t know how low and close it would be. If it had been any closer I wouldn’t have been able to focus on the hawk at all.

I zoomed back as quickly as I could to 116mm and started firing away and as I did I started leaning and almost fell on my back as the Osprey passed over my head. Adrian and I were laughing out loud and Bill was wondering if we got any good shots of the Osprey floundering with its prey over our heads.

Me? I was just glad the Osprey didn’t drop that huge Flounder on my head!

1. An Osprey in flight with a huge Flounder February 2, 2014 at 5:46 am

[…] posted another image of this Osprey and the huge Flounder at the end of November 2013 and today I thought I would share one more photo […]

2. Kim December 1, 2013 at 3:24 am

Wow Mia, what a brilliant sight and capture! That’s the best osprey with fish shot I’ve seen, and wonderful to have had a good laugh at the same time, congratulations!

3. Sonja Ross December 1, 2013 at 3:03 am

Incredible! I didn’t know flounder were so pale either.

4. Elephant's Child November 30, 2013 at 12:22 pm

What a fibber you are. You weren’t ‘just’ glad not to be wearing the flounder at all. Any day when you laugh is a winner – seeing that amazing sequence is another AND to capture it as well makes for a triple treat. And yes, I am also happy that you didn’t experience the slap-stick of a fish in the face.

5. Patty Chadwick November 30, 2013 at 12:02 pm

What a great, lucky shot! I’ve seen pictures of osprey with fish before, but never as close, or ant and angle of that one!

6. M. Bruce November 30, 2013 at 10:58 am

You not only got the shot, you got a truly amazing, tack sharp shot. What a thrill to not only see this spectacular sight but to have everything work out photographically. Congratulations!

7. Utahbooklover November 30, 2013 at 10:41 am

Great shot and quite a story behind it too!

8. Montanagirl November 30, 2013 at 9:33 am

Oh WOW! That’s a spectacular shot!

9. Liz Cormack November 30, 2013 at 8:18 am

He’s looking right at you. Probably wondering if you were a threat to taking his prized possession away from him.
    Great shot!

10. Carroll Tarvin November 30, 2013 at 8:15 am

What an incredible shot. I love it and hope the Osprey got to eat it after a catch like that. Thank you, you brightened my morning again.