Barn Owls and their many nicknames

Home/Birds, Barn Owls, Farmington Bay Waterfowl Management Area, Utah/Barn Owls and their many nicknames

Adult Barn Owl in flightAdult Barn Owl in flight – Nikon D300, f7.1, 1/1000, ISO 500, Nikkor 200-400mm VR with 1.4x TC at 400mm, natural light, not baited

Whenever I see Barn Owls flying during the day it is a delight because they are typically nocturnal. Barn Owls will fly during the day when they have a ravenous brood of chicks to feed and in winters when there is heavy snow on the ground because they have to work harder and longer to find enough prey to survive. This image was created last winter when there were harsh winter conditions.

Barn Owls have many nicknames which include monkey-faced owl, silver owl, white owl, delicate owl, golden owl, steeple owl, straw owl, barnyard owl, church owl, night owl, ghost owl, hobgoblin owl, screech owl, and death owl. That is a lot of nicknames and with some of the nicknames it is easy to see how they got them with others it is more elusive.

I prefer using the common name “Barn Owl” because that is most likely where I first saw one because I started my life out as a farmer’s daughter and saw plenty of barns.

1. Barn Owl Blur December 26, 2013 at 5:25 am

[…] week I did a post on the many nicknames used for Barn Owls and among them was “Ghost Owl” and for some reason when I first looked at this frame I […]

2. Kathie December 23, 2013 at 9:59 am

Mia, I love this image! I did not know Barn Owls had so many names! I am a farmer’s granddaughter and spent plenty of time around barns and barnyards myself but never saw a Barn Owl until I was grown up!

3. eileen December 21, 2013 at 4:08 am

Mia, awesome shot of the Barn owl. This is one bird that is still on my wish list. Great post!

Merry Christmas to you and your family!

4. Sonja Ross December 21, 2013 at 1:24 am

It’s a beautiful image and an interesting post as as far as I know we only call them Barn Owls in Australia.

5. Utahbooklover December 20, 2013 at 7:20 pm

Nice photo of this beautiful owl. I didn’t know they had so many nicknames — makes me glad we have books and a uniform system of naming species. I think I mentioned before that this is Steve Chindgren’s (falconer and Hogle Zoo Birdshow director) favorite owl. Nice to know I might see one someday in the wild, even in the daytime.
    I also enjoyed your post yesterday — but I’m very concerned about the death of so many Bald Eagles in our area.

6. Bryce Robinson December 20, 2013 at 1:27 pm

Ha! Hobgoblin Owl. I’ve never heard that, but it sure is a great name. I think they should be called Poltergeist Owl. They are fairly eerie birds, especially when you hear them scream. Great post Mia.

7. Elephant's Child December 20, 2013 at 11:49 am

Whatever the name, they have my heart. Gorgeous image, and thank you. Again.

8. Patty Chadwick December 20, 2013 at 9:57 am

Beautiful image…love name “golden owl”…really fits these gorgeous birds. I hope this winter, which starts tomorrow, is easier on them.

9. Rachel LeBlanc December 20, 2013 at 8:31 am

Gorgeous. Every feather is in place and in perfect alignment with every other one!

10. Glen Fox December 20, 2013 at 6:00 am

SUPERB image, Mia. They are such beautiful birds.

11. Bob Bushell December 20, 2013 at 5:45 am

Oh, that’s nice Mia, great photo.