Barn Owl on a snowbank

Barn Owl in snowy marsh habitatBarn Owl in snowy marsh habitat – Nikon D300, f6.3, 1/640, -1.7 EV, Nikkor 200-400mm VR with 1.4x TC at 300mm, natural light, not baited

I spotted this beautiful Barn Owl on a snow bank yesterday along the side of a dirt road at Farmington Bay Waterfowl Management Area, the light was dreadful but I still enjoyed watching it as it captured prey and ate it, preened, flew and rested. I wish there were more light in the owl’s eyes or that the light had been better period but if it had been brighter the owl might not have been out hunting and flying around. I’ll post more images of this Barn Owl at another time.

Happy Christmas Eve.

1. Wickersham's Conscience December 25, 2013 at 6:00 pm

Superb detail and masterful color palette, Mia. Fine work.

2. Montanagirl December 25, 2013 at 8:56 am

Excellent shot of the Barn Owl, Mia. I’m trying to do a few quick comments before anyone gets up. It’s 37 below zero where we are with daughter and family. Brrrr.!! Have a wonderful Christmas day.

3. eileen December 24, 2013 at 4:56 pm

Awesome shot of the Barn Owl, Mia!

4. Humming Bird lover December 24, 2013 at 4:25 pm

Hi!

Love the beautiful Owl and Oh the snow! I miss both. Have a Merry Christmas and a Great New Year of Pictures to come.

5. Sherry in MT December 24, 2013 at 3:43 pm

Yup, hate you! LOL Kidding, such a stellar shot as always. So jealous but still wishing you a very Merry Christmas Mia!

6. Patty Chadwick December 24, 2013 at 12:25 pm

Great image! So glad you still see them…Merry Christmas and a wonderful New Year!

7. Elephant's Child December 24, 2013 at 11:13 am

It is early Christmas morning here – and you have given me an absolutely wonderful gift. Thank you so much. Merry Christmas and wishes for a feathered enchantment of a year.

8. Tammy Karr December 24, 2013 at 10:31 am

Wow, absolutely stunning capture, Mia!!! Wishing you a very Christmas!!!

9. Jeff Cooper December 24, 2013 at 7:14 am

Barn owls are awesome. It would have been a delight to see. Thanks for sharing, Mia. Have a merry Christmas!

10. Carroll Tarvin December 24, 2013 at 6:55 am

I wish I had the talent you have for perfection in pictures, but then I would have to worry about what to me is an exquisite photograph with absolutely no fault. Thank you for ruining my perception – just kidding. I love it.

11. Dave Sparks December 24, 2013 at 6:31 am

Mia:
    Thanks for the Christmas Eve gift! A wonderful look at a Barn Owl. My wife thinks the insistence of a good catch light in the eye of the subject is a silly rule for photographers. She believes poor light conditions are part of the “habitat” of a bird and that photographers should include it in their portfolios. Your photo makes her point. Guess I may need to start paying attention to what she says!
    Dave

12. Kathleen December 24, 2013 at 6:28 am

What a lovely glimpse of an owl! I’ve never seen a barn owl in the wild. Someday!

13. Bob Bushell December 24, 2013 at 6:25 am

Pretty babe, love it.

14. Glen Fox December 24, 2013 at 5:20 am

Mia, Thank you for this beautiful Christmas Gift. What a gorgeous capture. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Glen