Someday… I’ll Get My Dream Golden Eagle Photos

Home/Birds, Box Elder County, Golden Eagles, Utah/Someday… I’ll Get My Dream Golden Eagle Photos

Golden EagleGolden Eagle – Nikon D300, f6.3, 1/1250, ISO 500, Nikkor 200-400mm VR with 1.4x TC at 350mm, natural light, not baited

I have had so many opportunities with Golden Eagles and each time something goes wrong.

The bird takes flight before I can raise my lens.

The bird is too far away.

The bird is sitting on the ugliest man made perch ever and doesn’t fly even after a half an hour of sitting in a vehicle along side what can be very busy country roads.

I don’t see the Golden Eagle soon enough and it flies over my head before I know it and all I see is its shadow.

I’ve seen great action between a Golden Eagle and two Common Ravens fighting over a kill but couldn’t stop because of too much road traffic.

One of the biggest reasons I miss “Golden” opportunities with these eagles is that I most often find them in the worst lighting conditions where they are strongly back lit because I am facing into the sun.

Or I get a great pose, the light isn’t bad… and the bird is facing away. (see above)

Maybe one time I will find a Golden Eagle in sweet light, a fantastic pose with great eye contact.

Someday I will get the Golden Eagle images I keep dreaming of.

(This Golden Eagle was photographed in February in Box Elder County, Utah)

1. ingrid@thewildbeat December 29, 2013 at 1:14 pm

Mia, I had to chuckle on this one because this is my situation precisely with Bald Eagles and their winter salmon feeding. They are plentiful in areas upriver here in Washington and British Columbia. But my limited time to travel there always coincides with either drizzle or downpour — or we show up in beautiful light but after the eagles have left their feeding grounds. For me it’s next year … maybe. 🙂

2. Sonja Ross December 28, 2013 at 10:31 pm

It’s why we keep trying!!!!

3. Jane Chesebrough December 28, 2013 at 2:14 pm

i love the feather display – as for the perfect shot, maybe this year. Wish you well.

4. Elephant's Child December 28, 2013 at 11:55 am

While you (like Ron) seek perfection, I am in awe at the magic you do capture.

5. Wally December 28, 2013 at 10:53 am

What an awe-inspiring photograph (for me)! I can almost hear the wings.

Mia, good news! I have found a solution to your problem of not being able to get the “perfect” shot of a bird! Photograph dinner plates! They (normally) don’t move very fast! Lighting can be tricky, though, depending on what’s on the plate. Good luck!

🙂

6. jerry Liguori December 28, 2013 at 9:43 am

I love that capture for many reasons! And I bet Bryce does too.

7. Montanagirl December 28, 2013 at 10:18 am

It’s a really nice photo, Mia. I always like catching a bird on the wing.

8. Patty Chadwick December 28, 2013 at 9:15 am

Wonderful, Mia! One of the best images of one of my favorite birds…definitely my favorite eagle. THANKS!!!

9. Stu December 28, 2013 at 8:58 am

Great Shot Mia!

10. Bob Bushell December 28, 2013 at 7:18 am

A beautiful raptor flying above you.

11. Glen Fox December 28, 2013 at 7:07 am

Any opportunity to see this species is a blessing, and a photo op a gift! Boy Mia, would I like either. Some day you will get that chance. For now just enjoy!

12. Greg Britten December 28, 2013 at 7:04 am

Nothing wrong with that picture! I lived in the West for 30 years and did not see the like, now I live in NH, no Goldens though some Bald Eagles, hopefully I can capture one at some point.

13. eric c11 December 28, 2013 at 7:00 am

hi mia
    it s a nice shape with the feathers spreads like that,good job =)))
    i with you a good end of the year, see you soon ☼