Tricolored Heron hunting in the surf

/, Florida, Fort De Soto County Park, Tricolored Herons/Tricolored Heron hunting in the surf

Tricolored Heron hunting in the surfTricolored Heron hunting in the surf – Nikon D200, handheld, f5.6, 1/1000, ISO 200, Nikkor 80-400mm VR at 122mm, natural light, not baited

My post for today is just a simple image of a Tricolored Heron I photographed as it hunted in the surf of the Gulf of Mexico in coastal Florida one June day in 2008.

1. Wally January 14, 2014 at 2:16 pm

I often think the Tricolored Heron is copying me when I’m sneaking along the shoreline, furtively approaching a subject, poised with a lens, ready to strike at any moment!

Magnificent photograph, Mia!

2. Sonja Ross January 13, 2014 at 3:38 am

It’s interesting looking at this. It is a lovely shot, but I think if you had the same opportunity today, you would produce an even better result. I can’t tell you exactly why, but that was my initial impression. They’re a handsome heron!

3. Bryce Robinson January 12, 2014 at 2:36 pm

You have the absolute best Tricolored Heron images Mia. I can only imagine my elation if I was able to look through your TRHE folder on your computer. Gems, the lot of them!

• Mia McPherson January 12, 2014 at 3:49 pm

Bryce, I do have heaps and heaps of Tricolored Heron images! Thank you.

4. Utahbooklover January 12, 2014 at 1:36 pm

Love this image Mia. Like Patty, we’ve had our share of weird weather and last week I was thinking of Florida for our honeymoon (getting married in March) but due to the short spring break, we decided on Park City, Utah where you can at least count on clean air.

• Mia McPherson January 12, 2014 at 1:40 pm

Utahbooklover, Congrats on your upcoming nuptials!

Yes, the weather has been weird and it is even starting to get to me. I am usually very optimistic about everything but have found myself lacking in optimism for sunshine and birds these past few weeks. Park City does have much cleaner air than the valley “sigh”.

5. Elephant's Child January 12, 2014 at 12:36 pm

Very, very beautiful. Thank you.

6. Patty Chadwick January 12, 2014 at 9:49 am

It rained all day yesterday, most of night—some freezing rain–gray and windy today, temperatures very unstable, wide swings, (ex. 47–5–53 degrees in 3 days), energy levels, spirits low, feel off balance. Long for white sand, turquoise water, white foam, mangroves, banyans, seaweed, small shells and bits of driftwood, hermit crabs and blue skies….

• Mia McPherson January 12, 2014 at 1:42 pm

It has been gray so much here Patty that my innate optimism seems to be failing me.

Hope this image reminded you of everything you are longing for. Come to think of it, the Caribbean does sound wonderful right now.

• Patty Chadwick January 12, 2014 at 3:40 pm

Gray days are the pits…especially when cold and rainy…YUK!

• Mia McPherson January 12, 2014 at 3:50 pm

Yes Patty and I am sick of them!

7. jerry liguori January 12, 2014 at 8:15 am

a great photo of my favorite heron

8. Bob Bushell January 12, 2014 at 6:12 am

Simple but, excellent photo Mia.

• Mia McPherson January 12, 2014 at 1:44 pm

Thank you Bob, it is very simple.

9. Eileen January 12, 2014 at 5:57 am

They are gorgeous herons! Great shot, Mia!

10. Montanagirl January 12, 2014 at 6:25 am