Red-shouldered Hawk in flight

Red-shouldered Hawk in flightRed-shouldered Hawk in flight – Nikon D200, handheld, f6.3, 1/800, ISO 320, Nikkor 80-400mm VR at 330mm, natural light, not baited

This Red-shouldered Hawk photo was taken in Florida in November of 2008 just after the hawk lifted off from an old snag near a Great Blue Heron I had been photographing. This image shows the “red shoulders” very nicely. I wouldn’t have expected to find a Red-shouldered Hawk at the tip of the north beach of Fort De Soto  near the sand dunes because it isn’t the kind of habitat I normally saw them in but it goes to show that keeping your eyes open for the unexpected can pay off.

1. Elephant's Child January 14, 2014 at 2:28 pm

So very beautiful. Power, grace, style. Thank you (as always).

2. Wally January 14, 2014 at 2:12 pm

Beautiful details of how this magnificent raptor got its name, Mia! That’s the cool thing about the Fort – you just never know who’s going to show up!

3. Julie G. January 14, 2014 at 1:40 pm

Nobody photographs raptors like you do, Mia! Excellent capture of this striking hawk!

4. Utahbooklover January 14, 2014 at 11:05 am

I have never seen Buteo lineatus before and your image well illustrates the name origin — nice capture. I looked it up: The Red-shouldered Hawk is a medium-sized hawk. Its breeding range spans eastern North America and along the coast of California and northern to northeastern-central Mexico. [Wikipedia]

5. Bryce Robinson January 14, 2014 at 10:54 am

Very cool! RSHA is a species I have very few photos of. They are such striking birds as well. Glad you had your eyes open Mia!

6. Patty Chadwick January 14, 2014 at 10:54 am

This image shows what a well-striped bird this is…and how he got his name. Since one moved in at my daughter’s house, she hasn’t had much problem with chipmunks or mice anymore.

7. Chris Rohrer January 14, 2014 at 9:06 am

Wonderful capture! We just saw one for the first time two days ago. It was so amazing since we rarely have these birds visit!:)

8. Montanagirl January 14, 2014 at 6:45 am

That’s a great find, Mia!!