Snowy Egret landing on the shore of the Gulf of Mexico

/, Florida, Fort De Soto County Park, Pinellas County, Snowy Egrets/Snowy Egret landing on the shore of the Gulf of Mexico

Snowy Egret landing on the shore of the Gulf of MexicoSnowy Egret landing on the shore of the Gulf of Mexico – Nikon D200, f6.3, 1/1500, ISO 200, Nikkor 70-400mm VR at 175mm, natural light, not baited

I wanted to post something from warmer, brighter and birdier days so I found this image of a Snowy Egret landing on the shore of the Gulf of Mexico that I photographed on a hot May day in Florida five years ago. I was sitting on the sugar sand while the Snowy Egret hunted for prey along the shore of the Gulf of Mexico and it was amazing to me how close the egret would get to the crazy woman with one glass eye pointed at it.

I can almost feel the sand under me, the salty tang to the air and the gentle breeze coming off of the Gulf. All is good. Life is good.

1. Elephant's Child January 18, 2014 at 4:22 pm

What an absolute delight. Love the galoshes – so unexpected after the elegance of the rest of the bird.

2. Wally January 18, 2014 at 12:08 pm

White and yellow bird on a white and blue and green beach and a yellow sun in a bright blue sky. Who wouldn’t be warmed up on the inside after viewing your spectacular imagery, Mia!

3. Kathie January 18, 2014 at 11:32 am

Mia, I am so glad this photo takes you back to such a warm and sunny place! I love the yellow “galoshes” on this bird! The first time i ever saw this birds was on Sanibel or Captiva Island in FL and another birder told me I could always tell a Snowy egret because it was the one with Yellow “galoshes” for going out in the snow! For those who do not know what that word means, it is an old fashioned word for boots!

4. Patty Chadwick January 18, 2014 at 9:47 am

Great image….wings are so graceful, then there are those yellow galoshes!

5. Eileen January 18, 2014 at 7:36 am

I love these Egrets! Great shot, Mia! Happy weekend!

6. Lois Bryan January 18, 2014 at 6:53 am

What a beauty … fantastic timing on your part … and you’ve got it all IN the frame, lol!!!! Beautifully done, as always!!

7. Montanagirl January 18, 2014 at 6:20 am