An Osprey in flight with a huge Flounder

Home/Birds, Florida, Fort De Soto County Park, Ospreys/An Osprey in flight with a huge Flounder

An Osprey in flight with a huge FlounderAn Osprey in flight with a huge Flounder – Nikon D200, handheld, f6.3, 1/750, ISO 160, Nikkor 80-400mm VR at 135mm, natural light, not baited

I posted another image of this Osprey and the huge Flounder at the end of November 2013 and today I thought I would share one more photo from that series. This is just 6 frames ahead of the other image I posted. Here the Osprey was further away from Adrian and I and hadn’t yet begun to turn towards the south. This Osprey flying in from the Gulf over the north beach of Fort De Soto came as a surprise to us so I had little time to prepare and get my setting right due to how fast the Osprey was flying.

Funny that I should pick a “Sea Hawk” to post today on Super Bowl Sunday instead of a “Bronco”.  Ah well, I will just have to get to the west desert and photograph some wild broncos.

Go Broncos!

1. eric czyz February 4, 2014 at 12:11 am

woow, simply wonderfull to get it face to face, bravo mia =)))

2. Jane Chesebrough February 2, 2014 at 5:21 pm

I will probably get more done now. I think this Osprey is hosting a Superbowl party or he will be grounded after eating that huge fish.Enjoy the game.

3. ingrid@thewildbeat February 2, 2014 at 1:50 pm

What a beautiful fish! I admit that as much as many hours as I spend observing Ospreys, I also feel for the fish as it’s pulled so suddenly from its environment. I can’t imagine what that experience is like, being airlifted as an aquatic being. On Seahawks … I’m in Seattle now with no particular affiliation. 🙂

4. Bryce Robinson February 2, 2014 at 11:00 am

What a neat shot Mia. Just another addition to the reasons why I MUST go to Florida.

I wonder if an Osprey has ever hazed a wild bronco….

Here’s a photography goal for next year. Predict the players of the Super Bowl (one has to be a bird, right?) and take a photo that catches that rivalry in nature. Let’s say the Atlanta Falcon’s face the San Diego Chargers…. That would be a gruesome image.

5. Nicole February 2, 2014 at 10:34 am

That is an INCREDIBLE photo!!! WOW!!!

6. Sherry in MT February 2, 2014 at 9:55 am

Awesome shot Mia. I can’t believe how white the flounder is – can tell we don’t have those here.

7. Lois Bryan February 2, 2014 at 8:52 am

oh WOW!!! That is a HUGE fish!!!! And how I love those brilliant yellow birdie eyes glaring down at us from on high!!!!!! Clearly he’s saying, OH NO YOU DON’T!!!! LOL!!! Love it!!!!

8. Patty Chadwick February 2, 2014 at 8:48 am

This is an amazing shot! I wonder how he was able to capture such a huge flat fish….because of the size, but also because I thought flounder were bottom feeders, seldom rising close enough to the surface for an osprey to nab it!

Dick…Forget signs, omen’s, etc. RE:The outcome of The Super Bowl…The poor SeaHawks will do their best, BUT…This is “THE YEAR OF THE HORSE”…need I say more???

• Mia McPherson February 2, 2014 at 8:51 am

Patty, there are two shallow lagoons near where I photographed this Osprey, I am certain that it captured the flounder in one of those two areas. Probably the north lagoon because of the direction the Osprey came flying in from.

9. Liz Cormack February 2, 2014 at 7:19 am

Wow, he sure looks like he has his eye on you. Gorgeous shot.

10. Dave Sparks February 2, 2014 at 7:18 am

Well, the sea hawk IS floundering.

• Mia McPherson February 2, 2014 at 7:19 am

LOLOL Dave! Yes it is!

11. Montanagirl February 2, 2014 at 7:32 am

Fabulous photo – that’s the whitest fish I’ve ever seen!

12. Dick Harlow February 2, 2014 at 6:31 am

Could this be an omen or a jinx as to who will win the super bowl?
    Very nice shot, Mia. Thanks for sharing.

• Mia McPherson February 2, 2014 at 6:34 am

Dick, I wasn’t even thinking about the Super Bowl when I selected this image for today’s post until about halfway through it and then I chuckled when I realized that I was posting a “Sea Hawk” and I am a Broncos fan.

13. threecollie February 2, 2014 at 6:23 am

That is simply magnificent!