Today I reached the 1000 posts mark for my blog here at On The Wing Photography. In those 1000 posts I’ve covered a lot of birds, animals and locations.

I have written about some of my favorite locations that include my love for Fort De Soto County Park, wild and wonderful Antelope Island State Park, Fish Springs National Wildlife Refuge that is an oasis in the west desert of Utah, Bear River National Wildlife Refuge, the beauty of Flaming Gorge National Recreation Area, the amazing geological treasure of colorful Capitol Reef National Park and the deep connection I feel for Red Rock Lakes National Wildlife Refuge and the Centennial Valley of Montana.

And I have many more favorite locations to share.

I have posted many images of the animals I care very deeply about, the Coyotes and Bison of Antelope Island, Pronghorn, Moose, Loggerhead Turtles and Red Fox kits. Each animal is gorgeous and we need to take care of them now, pay attention to conservation and their habitats.

And although my primary focus for my photography are birds I can’t resist taking images of the flowers and trees I see on my photographic journeys. Wildflowers are my favorites but I also love any other flowers that I see.

I have also written about what many people consider hot topics such as protecting natural areas from the destruction that would be caused by drilling for oil and gas in the San Rafael Swell area, the senseless slaughter of apex predators like Coyotes and the disturbing lack of “fair chase” connected to game farms.  In the future I am sure I will write about more hot topics.

I feel it is my duty and an honor to speak up for the birds, the wildlife and nature in general. To help educate, to aid in conservation and preservation of nature as much as I can. I can speak for those who can’t speak for themselves and perhaps through my images ignite the love for nature in other people.

It is the birds that I see who stir my photographic passion the most. The winged and feathered creatures of the air. From the tiny birds like Piping and Semipalmated Plovers to dainty Black-chinned Hummingbirds and other flying jewels.

The Perching birds that delight the eye with their colors and calls.

The wading birds…

The birds that some might not think are beautiful… but I do.

The owls that draw me in…

The birds of prey…

The Pelicans and the Cormorants…

Wilson's Phalaropes murmurationWilson’s Phalaropes at the Great Salt Lake

And large flocks of birds taking flight…

It is the birds that draw me back, day after day, season after season to attempt to capture their beauty and grace.

The other blessing that comes from my photography are the people I meet in the field, the people that simply loves birds and nature, the friends that I make both in person and through on line interaction. In Utah, Montana, Florida and beyond… wherever I go I meet the greatest people because of my photography.

And all of you who read  On The Wing Photography!  Thank you, I appreciate you all.

All of you are gifts.

Forward to the next 1000 posts…

1. Maria F. February 10, 2014 at 7:21 am

Happy 1,000th! Congrats!

2. humming bird lover February 5, 2014 at 1:44 pm

HI! love them, love them, you do such wonderful photo’s and talking us thru each picture is great! Keep up your good works! Have a great day.

3. Jane Chesebrough February 5, 2014 at 9:58 am

I just watched the slide show, didn’t know that that would happen when I clicked on the first image. A very pleasurable journey and I wish you many more new discoveries and fascinations.

4. […] 1000 posts at On The Wing Photography and still going strong […]

5. Kim February 5, 2014 at 5:25 am

A fantastic milestone Mia, thank you for sharing your thoughts, your favourite places and above all your magnificent images.

6. Eric Stognner February 4, 2014 at 11:13 pm

Mia,
    Very beautiful work!

7. Larry Jordan February 4, 2014 at 6:18 pm

Mia, I can’t begin to tell you how much I love your superb images, but even more than that, it is your unrelenting championship of wildlife and the environment that most endears me to you. For myself, and on behalf of the Wildlife Conservation Stamp Project, we appreciate your support and your never ending concern for our wild friends that cannot speak for themselves. May you create thousands more beautiful posts demonstrating the importance of conservation and biodiversity for all to enjoy!

8. Tammy Karr February 4, 2014 at 5:28 pm

Congratulations on this great milestone Mia! Your work is incredible and inspirational! Thank you for sharing the beauty of the places you go and amazing wildlife you see!

9. Nancy February 4, 2014 at 3:25 pm

Congratulations Mia on 1000 posts! Thank you for sharing some of your treasured moments! Breathtaking photography!

10. Prairie Birder February 4, 2014 at 3:05 pm

Congratulations, Mia, you photos are so beautiful. I’m definitely looking forward to your next 1000 post!

11. eric czyz February 4, 2014 at 2:24 pm

congratulation for you 1000th post, with a woiderfull compilations of pictures =)))
    thanks a lot mia, i hope to see your blog for a long time
    take care
    eric

12. Lois Bryan February 4, 2014 at 2:04 pm

Appreciate you too, sweetie. I’m hanging onto this post so I can savor each and every image!! Most sincere congratulations on this amazing milestone!!!!

13. Julie G. February 4, 2014 at 1:08 pm

That is quite a milestone, Mia! Over the years, I have thoroughly enjoyed visiting your outstanding blog filled with interesting/fascinating information and exquisite photographs. Congratulations!

14. biobabbler February 4, 2014 at 12:01 pm

You rock, chica. SO glad you’re here, there, photographing, posting, thinking, and writing. WOOT!

15. Scott (@NESASK) February 4, 2014 at 10:56 am

Congratulations, Mia, on reaching that milestone and on the consistent high quality of every post, in photographic excellence and information. I always look forward to every new entry you post.

16. Utahbooklover February 4, 2014 at 10:44 am

Fabulous post Mia and congratulations! This is my favorite statement of yours: “I feel it is my duty and an honor to speak up for the birds, the wildlife and nature in general. To help educate, to aid in conservation and preservation of nature as much as I can. I can speak for those who can’t speak for themselves and perhaps through my images ignite the love for nature in other people.” Thank you! — and keep up the good work.

We received some fresh snow last night, so I was surprised to see several flocks of robins on my drive here in Brigham City. Guess they are not put off by “six more weeks do winter.”

17. Bryce Robinson February 4, 2014 at 8:50 am

What a milestone! Congrats Mia, and thanks for the posts. Cheers to next 1000!

18. Pierre Cenerelli February 4, 2014 at 8:42 am

Congratulations, Mia! And your photos are always so brilliant and you text very instructive. Your site is terrific!

19. Cheryl Valdez February 4, 2014 at 8:41 am

Thank you for your posts, Mia. Look forward to them every day. Your passion for what you do really shines through.

20. judy watson February 4, 2014 at 8:36 am

Thank you, Mia!
    Have enjoyed your photos and posts and all the help you gave me!
    Looking forward for more!

21. Patty Chadwick February 4, 2014 at 9:16 am

1000 CONGRATULATIONS!!! Can’t even imagine how many images that represents, how much time reviewing and “culling” , how many early hours, how many frozen toes, how many cramped positions, how much time spent waiting patiently, how many bug bites,how much anguish at shots just missed, how much joy and exultation at “missions accomplished…the list has just begun!!!

22. Sherry in MT February 4, 2014 at 8:14 am

You are a gift to us as well Mia!

23. Dennis Skinner February 4, 2014 at 8:04 am

Mia, Really enjoy ON THE WING PHOTOGRAPHY and look forward to the next 1000 posts. THANKS!!

24. Steve Creek February 4, 2014 at 7:46 am

Congrats on 1000 posts Mia! I’m glad I discovered your blog and have enjoyed keeping up with it over the years. It was also great to meet you in person and to now count you as one of my great friends. Thank you for sharing!

25. Stu February 4, 2014 at 8:42 am

Congratulations and Thank you for giving us some great wonderful images !

26. Dave Sparks February 4, 2014 at 7:25 am

Mia:
    Many of us stand in awe of the talent and dedication displayed in your blog entries.
    Here’s to the next 100!
    Dave

• Dave Sparks February 4, 2014 at 11:10 am

…to the next 1000!

27. Glen Fox February 4, 2014 at 7:10 am

Mia,
    Wow, 1000 posts! Your dedication, skill, and ethic is appreciated by all of us who have the pleasure of viewing your images. The Lorax would be very proud of you! Keep at it! You are an inspiration for all of us. I look forward to meeting you some day. Blessings!

28. John Randall February 4, 2014 at 7:58 am

Congratulations Mia ! And thank you for sharing your Beautiful Photography and thoughts.

29. Montanagirl February 4, 2014 at 7:13 am

Really nice post. And congrats on your 1000 posts! That’s a lot of fabulous photography for us bloggies to enjoy!