Juvenile Red-naped Sapsucker in Summit County

Home/Birds, Ashley National Forest, High Uintas, Red-naped Sapsuckers, Summit County, Utah/Juvenile Red-naped Sapsucker in Summit County

Juvenile Red-naped Sapsucker in Summit CountyJuvenile Red-naped Sapsucker in Summit County – Nikon D200, tripod mounted, f6.3, 1/640, ISO 320, -0.7 EV, Nikkor 200-400mm VR with 1.4x TC at 400mm, natural light, not baited

The bad weather here has given me cabin fever so last night I looked through my archives and enjoyed some images from brighter, warmer days and came across this juvenile Red-naped Sapsucker image from my first camping trip to Utah’s high Uintas in Summit County. The campsite was in a wooded area that felt peaceful, had a view of the Bear River and through the trees I could see mountain tops and fluffy clouds. The air was cool in the mornings but warm in the afternoon.

This juvenile Red-naped Sapsucker was busy foraging for insects on several trees at the camp site one day and came quite close at times. It was a lifer bird for me to photograph and even now I get excited about that.

I’m not excited by the weather outside which is cloudy and wet once again. I’m thinking of spring, more birds and camping this morning.

1. Elephant's Child February 10, 2014 at 2:58 pm

What a delightful bird. And, please, send some of the cold and wet stuff over here.

2. Utahbooklover February 10, 2014 at 12:06 pm

Speaking of winter blues, check out these brave little eastern bluebirds that are overwintering in SE Minnesota (Alen’s recent post) despite freezing weather:

• Patty Chadwick February 10, 2014 at 12:57 pm

WONDERFUL! Remindsnb me of the little car in the circus that all the clowns pile out of….wish I could see how they’re stacked up inside….great link…thanks!

• Utahbooklover February 10, 2014 at 2:24 pm

You’re welcome Patty. The 5-min. video was amusing in that way. I too wondered what it looked like inside, and was surprised they would be that tolerant.

3. Utahbooklover February 10, 2014 at 11:47 am

This bird is new to me also, so I had to look it up to see the red nape on the adults and was pleased with what I found. Love the image and your camp site description (stirred some memories).

4. Montanagirl February 10, 2014 at 9:38 am

That’s a really pretty bird. I have never seen one before.

5. Patty Chadwick February 10, 2014 at 9:04 am

Still a bit fuzzy, not entirely grown up, hunting for something to eat in the rough bark of an evergreen;!soft, muted green foliage in the background…NO SNOW!!! I love it!!! Even though I still find the cold, white, purity of new snow beautiful, and beautifying, I’M SICK OF THE DAMNED STUFF!!!

6. Maria F. February 10, 2014 at 7:19 am

Hang in there Mia. Now that you mention, I also have to go though my old archives and make sure everything is where it’s supposed to be.

7. Dave Sparks February 10, 2014 at 7:14 am

Great pose and BG, perfect exposure. How did this stay in the archives so long?
    Dave