Lone Coyote

Lone CoyoteLone Coyote – Nikon D300, f5.6, 1/2000  ISO 640, Nikkor 200-400mm VR with 1.4x TC  at 400mm, natural light, not baited or called in

I slept late this morning, until just after 6 am and that is really late for me. It has been a hectic week and I hope that some of those bumps I hit have leveled out.

So I am posting a portrait of a lone Coyote that I took as this lovely creature foraged for food along the Antelope Island Causeway. I hope it headed back to the island where it is safe for Coyotes and not off of the island where it wouldn’t be.

1. Patty Chadwick June 9, 2014 at 8:42 am

Just. revisiting this wonderful image of a coyote…they represent so much to me…kind of a summary of the wild things and wild places I so deeply fear the loss of as people get farther and farther away from understanding and appreciating them. Electronics, “technology” rule…and they are the antithesis of the natural, wild world I love.

2. Patty Chadwick June 7, 2014 at 4:05 pm

Thank you,Utahbooklover! I checked out that site (about Charle the coyote)and LOVE IT!!!

3. Patty Chadwick June 7, 2014 at 2:30 pm

Great portrait of a usually elusive critter…love the expression, the smile and the amazing detail…very similar pose to the one I painted on a drum I made. It sits on a shelf and is never used because every time I used it, something annoying happened, a real Iktomi (trickster) drum…nothing terrible, just VERY frustrating! Wonderful capture!!!

4. Elephant's Child June 7, 2014 at 1:49 pm

An amazing shot of an amazing animal. I hope this coming week is bump free.

5. Utahbooklover June 7, 2014 at 10:18 am

This wild coyote portrait shows its intelligence. Did you see this blog about an orphaned coyote who became a pet?

6. judy watson June 7, 2014 at 8:45 am

Beautiful photo! Love the eyes.
    Always wondered if they ever get off the island.

7. Lynn June 7, 2014 at 8:39 am

What a stunning portrait of this beautiful coyote, Mia. I really am just blown away. I wish more people had the opportunity to see these wonderful animals in the wild and realize that they deserve to be protected from human predators. Thank you so much.

8. Bob Bushell June 7, 2014 at 7:04 am

Perfection Mia.

9. Montanagirl June 7, 2014 at 7:02 am

Excellent shot of the Coyote, Mia. Nice detail.

10. Stu June 7, 2014 at 6:47 am

Great Photo Mia, and I wish you and the Coyote a peaceful time in your lives 😉

11. John Randall June 7, 2014 at 6:43 am

What a Wonderful face !! Thank you Mia .

12. steven kessel June 7, 2014 at 6:41 am

Wow, amazing shot, Mia. Down here in southern Arizona I see Coyotes all the time but they never let me get this close.