A Montana Mountain Home – I could live there

/, Centennial Valley, Montana/A Montana Mountain Home – I could live there

Grand viewGrand view of a Montana Mountain Home

If I could pick a place to escape the craziness of modern life this place in the Centennial Valley of Montana would be at the top of my list. This cell phone image shows the grand view.

I could live hereI could live there

And this one shows the homestead close up, zoomed in with my 18-200mm VR lens. I’d love to walk right into this scene today. Especially today.

Wouldn’t it be peaceful? I could live there.

2016-12-07T12:09:25+00:00 June 23rd, 2014|Categories: Beaverhead County, Centennial Valley, Montana|Tags: , , , |14 Comments

1. Mia McPherson June 24, 2014 at 6:17 am

I wanted to thank everyone for their comments on this post, I mentioned that I wanted to walk right into this scene yesterday. I posted these images because I needed to feel a sense of peace because my grand daughter had been in a serious accident on Sunday and I was very worried about her. She is doing better and I am grateful for that.

Marilyn, I envy you being in the Centennial Valley every day. It must be wonderful.

Eve, I was sad to hear that the folks that own the cabin & land in these images weren’t friendly or helpful. That is very sad. I know if I owned it that the staff at the refuge would be welcome and my friends would be able to visit often.

I’d stick a couple tiny homes on the land for people to stay in.

2. Patty Chadwick June 23, 2014 at 2:07 pm

My dream home is a small,log home with good lighting,especially North light, mountains in the background. It’s approached by a narrow path through a field full of tall wildflowers. It’s near a clear,clean, fast moving stream, leading to a good sized nearby pond or small lake. It’s spring and snow fed. There are tall evergreens and some aspen in the background, and some sage, rabbit brush, and creosote growing in the field in back. It has a studio area with a bed to sit or sleep on when I get tired of painting and lots of windows, especially in the loft. It has a wood stove you can cook on or heat water on but also has a small, simple kitchen, a small bathroom with a shower and composting toilet. Water comes from a deep well. In the back is a small barn and a loafing shed for my horses. They’re free range but come when I whistle or call them. My chickens run free and though I can hear and see coyotes and wolves, they don’t bother any of my livestock (probably because my wolf or wolf hybrid guards them.) A Golden Eagle lives on the cliffs nearby and the air is thick with hummingbirds in the summer. It’s on a popular migration route, so I get to see all kinds of birds. It has electricity, generated by global warming deniers and game farm hunters on a treadmill ( hidden from view by a row of evergreens or a tall, weathered wood stockage fence). This allows me to run my refrigerator and gives me light to paint by at night. it also gives the chickens the light they need to keep laying in the winter months. I can usually find a sweat or pow wow pretty close if I want to. Ah! I can see it now….

3. Mary McAvoy June 23, 2014 at 1:46 pm

Oh my gosh. Spectacular.
    I’ve got to get out and about more.
    So much of this country I’ve never seen.
    Thanks Mia.

4. Jane Chesebrough June 23, 2014 at 1:07 pm

I find this draws me in to this lovely scene. Can’t blame the owners for being “unfriendly” I would want to keep it to myself, as well, although a “country wave” is not out of the question..enjoyed that when I worked in Saskatchewan.

5. Dave Sparks June 23, 2014 at 9:07 am

I understand your sentiment – beautiful setting for a home. I would want to visit in the winter before moving. We were thinking about buying a retirement house on an island in Maine but after subscribing to a local newspaper for a year and noting the winter temps, decided on Florida instead.

6. Kinsey Barnard June 23, 2014 at 8:49 am

Did you know a 2013 Gallup Poll found that Montana was No. 1 for residents saying their state was the best state to live in? 77% of Montanans gave their state the thumbs up. The national average was 46%. I’m in NW Montana and I couldn’t agree more!

7. Dick Harlow June 23, 2014 at 8:02 am

These images draw me in – I want to get a horse and ride that beautiful country!!
    Fantastic shots! Thanks for sharing!

• Marilyn Kircus June 23, 2014 at 8:52 am

When you retire, you could volunteer here at Red Rock Lakes NBR. One intern brought 2 horses with her, so you might even be able to cut a deal to have yours here. And the Valley Association has hired a lady who rides around in truck, 4 -wheeler and by horse to watch for wildlife.

8. Eve June 23, 2014 at 7:59 am

The owners of the land in the photo are not terribly friendly, I’m afraid. Couldn’t raise a wave on the county road the whole time I worked down there. They also wouldn’t let us (or anyone) use their trails to access the BLM in the Centennial Range that their property adjoins, which represented a hardship as far as work. Most of the Centennial Range on the Montana side of the continental divide is BLM.

• Utahbooklover June 23, 2014 at 1:40 pm

I experienced similar response my year in Alaska — some gave the impression they wanted a no growth state; but just the opposite on the Texas highways, I often got a friendly wave in passing.

9. Marilyn Kircus June 23, 2014 at 7:32 am

I live in Lakeview while volunteering for Red Rock Lakes NWR. And I spend several days a week on the north side of the valley. Definitely closer to Paradise than most places. Our vistas are ever changing and the light is addictive. And the smell of sage is intoxicating.

10. Stu June 23, 2014 at 7:30 am

Looks truly wonderful Mia..

11. Steve Creek June 23, 2014 at 6:51 am

I agree! It looks like an amazing place that I need to visit.

12. Bob Bushell June 23, 2014 at 5:05 am