Monday Medley of Bees, Moths and Hummingbirds

Rufous Hummingbird scratchingRufous Hummingbird scratching

I’ve compiled a medley of images this morning of bees, moths and hummingbirds that I have photographed this past week to share this morning. The blooming Rocky Mountain Bee Plants have brought in a variety on creatures for me to photograph. I’m not going to write much about them instead I will let the photos speak for themselves.

This little Rufous came in close and scratched, I love all the little details in the plumage.

Rufous Hummingbird femaleRufous Hummingbird female

This one was busy going from flower to flower feeding.

Nevada Bumble BeeNevada Bumble Bee

This Nevada Bumble Bee caught my attention when there weren’t any hummingbirds around.

Black-chinned Hummingbird with its tongue showingBlack-chinned Hummingbird with its tongue showing

This Black-chinned Hummingbird came in close and stuck its tongue out. Look at all the pollen on its bill!

Female Black-chinned HummingbirdFemale Black-chinned Hummingbird

And this one’s wings hummed close to the Rocky Mountain Bee Plant.

White-lined Sphinx MothWhite-lined Sphinx Moth

Early in the morning the White-lined Sphinx Moths are busy zipping around sipping nectar too.

The blooming plants are food for these beautiful creatures and I very much enjoy feeling a part of it all.

Side note, someone removed a single Rocky Mountain Bee Plant that was all by itself in a patch of cheat grass, I don’t know why they removed it but it wasn’t cool to do that. If it was removed so they could get seeds to plant at home that was messed up. The seeds hadn’t formed yet and it is against the law to remove them from Antelope Island. Just not smart at all.

Whoever you are you took food away from the bees, moths and birds that they NEED. In my opinion that was selfish and thoughtless.

1. Sherry in Mt August 20, 2014 at 7:22 am

Holy cow! I can only aspir to taking such clear and amazing images as these. I bow to your greatness as I know how hard it is to get all those zippy creatures!

2. CJ Oakley August 18, 2014 at 5:42 pm

Mia – that first little rufous is an absolutely amazing capture. You are such a fantastic photographer. I look forward to every email you send. Thanks for being you and for doing what you do with such dedication!!

3. Patty Chadwick August 18, 2014 at 4:18 pm

Mia–I’ve seen some of the smaller bumble bees and yello jackets, but for the last few years, not a single one of the larger bumble bees or even a single honey bee…not a one….

4. Elephant's Child August 18, 2014 at 1:58 pm

Wonderful images all. And I agree about the plant thief – about a thousand per cent agreement.

5. Lynn Koch August 18, 2014 at 9:46 am

Sheer delight, Mia! I love our native animals and plants. It really is terrible that so few people think about (or are aware of) the preciousness of our wild native plants for the well being of our native birds, bees, and other animals and think nothing of wantonly removing them from our wild places.

6. Bev Danis August 18, 2014 at 8:11 am

Lovely!

7. Patty Chadwick August 18, 2014 at 8:09 am

Oh, gee,Mia! Great shots, including that sassy hummingbird who’s sticking her tongue out at you! You really caught her iridescence…very difficult to do in watercolor, but by using pure pigment, I think I’ve come close.

8. Ilze Long August 18, 2014 at 7:39 am

I enjoy your photographs and your comments, even those that scold thoughtless people.
    Sometimes I say similar comments in my head. Good to have a like minded spirit out there.

9. Lois Bryan August 18, 2014 at 7:17 am

Each and every image is perfection … I adore the one with the tongue sticking out!!! GREAT timing on your part!!!