One Year Since the Rescue of Galileo the Short-eared Owl

Home/Birds, Box Elder County, Short-eared Owls, Utah/One Year Since the Rescue of Galileo the Short-eared Owl

Short-eared Owl fledgling caught on barbed wireShort-eared Owl fledgling caught on barbed wire

One year ago today I became part of an amazing group of people who rescued, rehabbed and trained Galileo the Short-eared Owl after finding him hung up on a barbed wire fence on June 19, 2016 when he was just beginning to learn to fly. Me and Ron got him off of that fence.

Galileo on my lapGalileo on my lap while being transported to HawkWatch

We took him to Mike Shaw at HawkWatch International who took him to WRCNU (Wildlife Rehabilitation Center of Northern Utah) in Ogden to be assessed and treated for his injuries.  Unfortunately Galileo could not be released because his injuries made him unreleasable and he spent several months at WRCNU recuperating. They do such wonderful work with injured birds and animals.

Galileo the Short-eared Owl outsideGalileo the Short-eared Owl outside HawkWatch International

Galileo recovered and he was allowed to become an educational bird at HawkWatch International and the great people there spent months training the gorgeous Short-eared Owl I had held in my hands right after we got him off of that fence. Today he is safe, healthy and is a great ambassador who helps to educate people, young and old, about Short-eared Owls.

Adult male Short-eared Owl looking upAdult male Short-eared Owl looking up

I photographed this male Short-eared Owl yesterday and when I saw this frame where the owl was looking up I felt that is was almost symbolic because things are definitely looking up for Galileo who without the help of a terrific group of people wouldn’t be with us here today. He touched my life and he has gone on to touch many others.

Every time I think about all that is awful in the world Galileo and everyone who helped to save the little guy reminds me of the people who continue to do good.

1. M. Bruce June 19, 2017 at 1:21 pm - Reply

Great story, thanks for sharing.

2. Elephants Child June 19, 2017 at 1:13 pm - Reply

Huge thanks to all involved in saving Galileo. Huge regrets that it was necessary.

3. Bob mcphersons June 19, 2017 at 1:13 pm - Reply

Handsome dude

4. April Olson June 19, 2017 at 11:09 am - Reply

My Australian friend thought I was jesting when I told her about the hazards of barbed wire. While traveling through Utah together this spring to see some of Utah’s wild beauty we found a young Antelope entangled in barbed wire. It was a bugger to get out. I blindfolded it with a sweatshirt and it calmed down enough to handle. It had tried to jump over and one of its legs became entangled between 2 strands of a tall 7 wire fence. I had to climb over the fence and with one of us on each side we were able to lift it free. It is a good thing we were both strong and she is a physical therapist. We now both wish we had taken photos, that was the last thing on our mind at the time.

5. Patty Chadwick June 19, 2017 at 8:08 am - Reply

Sickening imsge, Mis!!! Glad things worked out OK.for Galileo, but can’t help wondering how many others weren’t so lucky…HATE, HATE, HATE THE EFFING STUFF!!! Have known pronghorns and a beautiful, sweet horse that weren’t so lucky…that evil crap makes me sick!!!

6. M Bear June 19, 2017 at 7:10 am - Reply

So great to see this little guy made it, good work!! Beautiful images, as always!

7. Kim June 19, 2017 at 7:00 am - Reply

Stunning images.

8. Liz Cormack June 19, 2017 at 6:28 am - Reply

Wow, I can’t believe it has been a year since you discovered Galileo on that barbed wire. You can be very proud of your efforts that day.