Loggerhead Shrike Images, Facts and Information:
- Loggerhead Shrikes are gray, black and white with a black mask, legs and hooked bill with large blocky heads.
- Some populations of Loggerhead Shrikes are year round residents and some are migratory.
- Loggerhead Shrikes are song birds with some of the behaviors of raptors. They can transport prey nearly as large as they are with their feet and smaller prey items with their bills.
- Loggerhead Shrikes prefer open habitat with some shrubs or trees, especially those with spines for impaling their prey. They frequently are found in pastures, old orchards, sagebrush-steppe, prairies, savannas, deserts, riparian areas and scrublands.
- Loggerhead Shrikes eat insects, amphibians, small mammals, birds, lizards, snakes and rodents. They mainly feed on insects during the breeding season.
- Loggerhead Shrikes lay 4 to 7 eggs which hatch in 16 to 17 days. The female incubates and they are monogamous.
- Nicknames for Loggerhead Shrikes are “Butcher Bird”, “French Mockingbird” and “shrieking butcher”.
- A group of shrikes can be called a “watch” of shrikes.
- Loggerhead Shrikes can live to be over 11 years old.
I hope you enjoy viewing my Loggerhead Shrike photos.