Pied-billed Grebe Images, Facts and Information:
- Pied-billed Grebes are small, brown, chunky birds that swim, they have slender necks and large heads with small bills. While breeding the bill turns whitish with a single black band.
- Some Pied-billed Grebes are migratory and some are year round residents. Year round residents will migrate short distances when ponds and lakes freeze solid to find open water.
- Pied-billed Grebes prefer small ponds and marshes with vegetation for cover, during the winter they will congregate in larger bodies of water.
- Pied-billed Grebes eat vegetation, amphibians like frogs and tadpoles, crustaceans, fish, insects, snail and beetles.
- Pied-billed Grebes lay 2 to 10 eggs which hatch in 23 to 27 days. Both sexes incubate and they are monogamous.
- Nicknames for Pied-billed Grebes include “water witch”, “devil diver”, “dabchick” and “Hell diver”.
- A group of grebes is called a “water dance” of grebes.
- Pied-billed Grebes can live at least 4 years.
I hope you enjoy viewing my Pied-billed Grebe photos.