Red-breasted Merganser Images and Information:
- Red-breasted Mergansers are large diving ducks with long, thin orange-red serrated bills, shaggy crests, orange feet and legs and red eyes. The males have greenish black heads in breeding plumage.
- Red-breasted Mergansers are migratory.
- Red-breasted Mergansers prefer habitat with ponds on the tundra from Alaska and northern Canada to Newfoundland and the Great Lakes in Michigan, they are also found on wooded lakes and during the winter they prefer saltwater.
- The diet of Red-breasted Mergansers includes fish, crustaceans, insects, worms and amphibians.
- Red-breasted Mergansers lay 5 to 16 eggs which hatch in 29 to 35 days. The female incubates and they are monogamous.
- Red-breasted Merganser nicknames include “Shell Duck” and “Saw bill”.
- A group of ducks can be called a “raft”, “paddling”, “flush” or “brace” of ducks.
- Red-breasted Mergansers can live at least 9 years.
I hope you enjoy viewing my Red-breasted Merganser photos.
Title: Adult female nonbreeding Red-breasted Merganser in Utah
Location: Farmington Bay WMA, Davis County, Utah
Title: Red-breasted Merganser male in breeding plumage on Willow Pond
Location: Salt Lake County, Utah
Title: Red-breasted Merganser on the shore of a tidal lagoon
Location: Fort De Soto County Park, Pinellas County, Florida