Ring-billed Gull in Flight at Bear River National Wildlife Refuge

/, Bear River National Wildlife Refuge, Birds, Box Elder County, Ring-billed Gulls, Utah/Ring-billed Gull in Flight at Bear River National Wildlife Refuge

Ring-billed Gull and snow covered mountainsRing-billed Gull and snow covered mountains – Nikon D810, f7.1, 1/3200, ISO 640, +1.0 EV, Nikkor 500mm VR with 1.4x TC, natural light

I photographed this Ring-billed Gull in flight at Bear River National Wildlife Refuge on New Year’s Day on the west side of the auto tour loop. There were gulls and ravens resting on the ice and several gulls in flight over some open water. I could not resist taking images of the gulls with the snow covered Promontory Mountains in the background and this image makes me glad I didn’t think “they are just gulls”.

The winter light on the white snow and the Ring-billed Gull in flight combine to create what I think is a visually appealing image. This is a common bird that can be uncommonly beautiful and I’m happy to have this image taken at OUR refuge in my portfolio.

Today I want to express my concern for the safety of the staff at Malheur National Wildlife Refuge, the people of the towns nearby and for the government officials that have to deal with and remove the patriots militia armed thugs that have illegally and forcibly taken over the refuge headquarters and the refuge.

Their earlier peaceful protest in town was legal. Taking over the refuge is not.

1. Patty Chadwick January 4, 2016 at 9:40 pm

Please check my comment to Ron…

2. Utahbooklover January 4, 2016 at 1:18 pm

Thanks for the beautiful image. Why don’t these guys try working within the law?

3. Charlotte (Prairie Birder) January 4, 2016 at 12:07 pm

Lovely photo, Mia, and good luck with your concerns. Happy New Year!

4. Molly January 3, 2016 at 3:45 pm

Thanks for the beautiful image. Ugh on the militia. I love Malheur Wildlife Refuge..incredibly magical place. I feel for all the people, plants, and animals that have to deal with crazy, armed idiots.

• Mia McPherson January 3, 2016 at 4:07 pm

Molly, I hope to one day see Malheur NWR, I should have gone there when I lived in Oregon. I’m sorry now that I didn’t.

Thanks for your comment on my image.

5. Elephant's Child January 3, 2016 at 1:56 pm

The ordinary birds have extraordinary beauty for those who open their eyes. Thank you.
    Hiss and spit on the thuggery. The self-entitled, self-righteous thuggery.

6. Mia McPherson January 3, 2016 at 1:11 pm

Bob, I love gulls too, they are beautiful.

I hope there is not another Waco. These guys sound like they are itching to fight.

7. Deedee OBrien January 3, 2016 at 12:04 pm

I have been to Malheur NWR and the small towns nearby. I hope all this ends peacefully and the “militia men” get their due.

• Mia McPherson January 3, 2016 at 1:00 pm

Deedee, I think I remember seeing some of your images from the Malheur NWR. I hope no lives are lost and that the armed intruders of our public land see justice.

8. Wally January 3, 2016 at 10:07 am

Well, there’s an image I won’t be getting here in Florida! 🙂

That backdrop turns a beautiful gull into something spectacular!

• Mia McPherson January 3, 2016 at 1:01 pm

Thanks Wally. True, I don’t think you will have snow or mountains in the background of your Florida images!

9. Cindy January 3, 2016 at 9:56 am

I am in agreement, Mia. They say in times of fear, society swings right. I worry that the same will happen in Europe but then again, the pendulum always swings both ways. This too shall pass. There will always be the wackos and because they choose not to obey the law, they will always find those that support them in their disobedience. Your postings and images always offer a nice escape, Mia. Everything matters in this universe, parts of an intricate puzzle. Your gull is gorgeous, flying, not worried about the crazies of the world. Happy New Year. 🙂

• Mia McPherson January 3, 2016 at 1:02 pm

Thanks for the comment Cindy. I think my gull image is peaceful but what is going on in Oregon is anything but.

10. Stu January 3, 2016 at 8:52 am

Great Photo Mia.
    I too am concerned about the safely of others in that area. I agree with HummingBird Lover.. If we don’t hit one of these groups really hard.. they will continue to think they can get away with terrorizing areas. We need the military in there, arrest them , lock them up and throw away the key.

• Mia McPherson January 3, 2016 at 1:03 pm

Thank you Stu.

I don’t want to see any lives lost but the time to end this type of activity has arrived. These people need to be arrested, tried and thrown in jail.

11. Humming bird lover January 3, 2016 at 8:18 am

HI! Why has our government not done something about all the take overs? Shootings in malls and everywhere else,too? NO Terrorism groups in our Untied States? They are building up all over this country? Nip it in the bud and lock them all up for years and years? Deport them to their own roots!

Sorry ! I am proud to be a American and want to save our country! your photo’s are always so great! Keep up the good work!

• Mia McPherson January 3, 2016 at 1:09 pm

Mom, they need to be arrested, tried and thrown in jail.

Love you

12. Bob Mcpherson January 3, 2016 at 5:53 am

Beautiful photo Mia.

Love the Gulls, see lots of them around here.

Pray there is not another Waco at Malheur