Caspian Tern Images, Facts and Information:
- Caspian Terns are large terns with white bodies, black caps, gray upperparts, black legs and large, thick red bills with a black tip.
- Caspian Terns are the largest terns in the world.
- Caspian Terns are migratory.
- During the breeding season Caspian Terns prefer habitats that include salt marshes, spoil islands, freshwater lake islands and barrier islands. During winter and migration they are found along coastlines, large lakes and rivers.
- Caspian Terns eat fish but will also eat insects and do steal food from other birds.
- Caspian Terns lay 1 to 5 eggs which hatch in 20 to 28 days. Both sexes incubate and they are monogamous, colonial nesters.
- A group of terns can be called a “ternery” of terns.
- Caspian Terns can live to be more than 25 years of age.
I hope you enjoy viewing my Caspian Tern photos.
Title: Caspian Tern Band K101 inflight over Bear River MBR with insert
Location: Bear River Migratory Bird Refuge, Box Elder County, Utah
Title: Caspian Tern in flight at Fish Springs Mountain NWR
Location: Fish Springs National Wildlife Refuge, Juab County, Utah