American Alligator Images, Facts and Information:
- American Alligators are large reptiles with “armored” bodies, short legs, long tails and faces, bony ridges on their backs and tails, large jaws and teeth. American Alligators can grow up to 18 feet in length or more, females are generally smaller than males.
- American Alligators are usually found in freshwater environments like inland lakes, ponds, rivers and swamps of Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Louisiana, southern Texas, and North and South Carolina. The highest numbers of alligators live in Florida and Louisiana. There is a a trend of alligators moving northward which may be related to climate change.
- American Alligators eat fish, turtles, various birds and mammals and other reptiles.
- Female American Alligators lay 35 to 50 eggs in mounds of vegetation, they take 65 days to hatch. Temperature of the mounds determine the sex of the young. The female stays with the young for a few months.
- American Alligators can live 35 to 50 years in the wild and longer in captivity.
I hope you enjoy viewing my American Alligator photos.