Brewer’s Blackbird Images, Facts and Information:
- Brewer’s Blackbirds are small, long-legged blackbirds with long tails, rounded heads and long bills.
- Males have yellow eyes, glossy black plumage with iridescent metallic blues, purples and greens. The female is brown with dark eyes.
- Brewer’s Blackbirds are social birds that nest in colonies of up to 100 birds. The females pick the nest location and build the nests.
- Brewer’s Blackbirds lay 3 to 7 eggs which hatch in 12 to 14 days. The female incubates.
- Their main diet includes seeds and grains and they will eat insects when they are plentiful. They will pick insects off of the backs of large mammals. They are also opportunistic feeders and in urban areas they will take whatever food they find from fast food parking lots, cafes and parks.
- The range of Brewer’s Blackbirds has expended eastward because of human created changes.
- A group of Brewer’s Blackbirds is called a “keg”.
- Brewer’s Blackbirds can live up to 13 years.
I hope you enjoy viewing my Brewer’s Blackbird photos.