Chipping Sparrow Images, Facts and Information:
- Chipping Sparrows are medium sized sparrows, with long tails, black-streaked backs, pale gray underparts, white throats, black lines through their eyes and they have rufous caps. During their breeding season their bills are black and during the nonbreeding season they are pink.
- Chipping Sparrows can be year round residents or migrate short distances within their range. Throughout the year they can be found in all the lower 48 states and Alaska.
- Chipping Sparrows prefer open woodlands, grasslands, forest edges, brushy pastures, gardens and parks.
- Chipping Sparrows eat insects and seeds and they prefer to feed on the ground.
- Chipping Sparrows lay 2 to 5 eggs which hatch in 11 to 14 days. The female incubates and they are monogamous. Females develop a bare patch on their abdomens that fill with fluid during the breeding season which is thought to allow the transfer of heat from their bodies to the eggs.
- A flock of Chipping Sparrows can be called a “tournament” of sparrows.
- Chipping Sparrows can live up to 9 years.
I hope you enjoy viewing my Chipping Sparrow photos.