Common Merganser Images, Facts and Information:
- Common Mergansers are long-bodied diving ducks with long, thin reddish serrated bills, orange feet and legs and dark eyes. The males have greenish, black heads, white bodies and black backs in breeding plumage. Females have gray bodies with cinnamon colored heads with shaggy crests
- Common Mergansers are migratory.
- Common Mergansers are found throughout most of North America, during the breeding season they can be found in northern forested habitats that include lakes, ponds and rivers. During the winter they will be found further south on lakes, reservoirs and rivers.
- The diet of Common Mergansers includes fish, insects and aquatic plants.
- Common Mergansers lay 6 to 17 eggs which hatch in 28 to 35 days. The female incubates and they are monogamous.
- Common Merganser nicknames include “Fish Ducks”, “goosanders” and “Saw bill”.
- A group of ducks can be called a “raft”, “paddling”, “flush” or “brace” of ducks.
- Common Mergansers can live at least 13 years.
I hope you enjoy viewing my Common Merganser photos.