Common Nighthawk Images, Facts and Information:
- Common Nighthawks are big eyes, medium sized birds with pointed wings and medium length tails with gray, buff, white and black plumage. Only a small amount of their bills show and what does show looks tiny. Their wings have a striking white blaze.
- Common Nighthawks are migratory.
- Common Nighthawks can be found in sagebrush, grasslands, woodland clearings, prairies, plains, coastal sand dunes, beaches, open forests and have adapted to urban habitats.
- Common Nighthawks eat flying insects.
- Common Nighthawks lay two eggs which take 19 days to hatch. The females incubate and they are monogamous.
- Common Nighthawks have also been called “goatsuckers” which refers to a myth that nighthawks suckled on goats.
- A group of nighthawks is called a “kettle”.
- Common Nighthawks can live to be more than 9 years of age.
I hope you enjoy viewing my Common Nighthawk photos.